Dazey Seal-a-Meal | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dazey Seal-a-Meal

Last post Jul 10, 2012 9:08 PM by noducks . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Dazey Seal-a-Meal
    Does anyone know where I can purchase the bags for my Dazey Seal-a-Meal, other than e-bay? I know it's old but good for what little I use it. My nephew is in the army and it's great for sealing cookies in to help retain freshness.

TIA!
    False
  • RE: Dazey Seal-a-Meal
    What a great idea for shipping cookies! It doesn't crush them at all? Do you freeze them first?

I have a food saver and I use different brand bags in it all the time, so I don't know if that would would with yours or not, but it's not a problem with mine. I know they all say to use only the same brand bags with the same machine, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

In fact, now that I think about, I go to KMart usually, and I think they carry Seal-A-Meal. Would that be the same brand as yours?
    Amy
    False

Are you talking about the old Seal-a-Meal that is not a vaccuum sealer? I wonder if you can use the bags that go to the vaccuum sealers.
    False
    Oh, Tree, I didn't think of that. My mom has that kind; forgot all about that....Not sure if those bags are interchangeable, but they might be. Basically, the function of the machine is what is different in that the one is pulling out the air. Doesn't the older kind still hot seal the bag, needing a heavy-duty plastic bag to withstand the heat?

Amy
    False

I have one of the old ones, don't use it but it is still around. It did use a heavier bag, much like the new vaccuum seal bags.
    Joysue, if you can get someone to give you a new foodsaver bag, you could give it a try. It did use heat to seal the bags.
    False
    Well heck, I could mail ya a bag, JoySue :)
    False

Thanks for all your quick responses, ladies.

The first time I sent him cookies, I just used ziplock bags in a hard plastic container and he said they were a little dry. The 2nd time I used my seal-a-meal and wrapped them in bubble wrap before putting them in a cardboard box and he said they were wonderful. I did not freeze them because I was afraid as they thawed, moisture might become trapped in the bag and cause problems. Plus they would have only remained frozen maybe an hour so not much extra time when considering 3-4 days to get to him.

This is the old seal-a-meal that uses heat to seal the bags but doesn't vacuum. Seal-A-Meal is the actual name of the device. The bags are made of heavy plastic, and there are holes down the side of the bags that you hook on "pegs" to hold the bag in place while sealing.

I have not looked at K-Mart, but I will. I did look at WalMart at the vacuum bags they carry but since they don't have the holes to hold the bag in place, I didn't know if they would work.

So does the new vacuum sealers use heat to seal the bags?
    False
    the new ones use heat just like the old one. since the new ones don't have the little holes, i think you would just have to hold it in place a bit more carefully.
    False
    Well, maybe I remembering the name wrong...The pictures on the box show the food vaccum sealed. KMart carries a couple different brand names, but not the Food Saver, so I have just always bought whatever they had. Seriously, if you can't find them, I would mail you one of these vaccum bags though to see if it would work for you, so you don't have to buy a whole box. Let me know.

Amy
    False

There is a seal-a-meal that is a vaccum sealer. The one she is talking about is the type from the 70's and 80's. It was branded as "Dazey". If I was not in the middle of moving, I would try it out myself. But I doubt I could locate the Seal A Meal and a Foodsaver bag on the same day and at the same location :)
    False
    OK, Tree. I do know the older type, but didn't realize they made the vaccum seal type too. Thanks. I thought it was the neatest thing when my mom got the seal a meal all those years ago!

Joy~I'll ask her is she has any bags left! I know they never use it all anymore; we were just talking about it a few weeks ago.

Amy
    False

• Re: Dazey Seal-a-Meal

Hello, I see that your post was for 2005 but I wanted to tell you two things.  First, I have been looking for the bags with the holes on the sides for Dazey for a long time for a friend of mine.  If you found a source, I'd love to hear about it!   

Also, years ago in the 60's a group of us made cookies every weekend for two years with community donations of supplies for our guys in Vietnam.  We packed the cookies in popcorn in either cans or bags.  It worked very well and their responses were that the cookies were fresh and unbroken.  Hope this might help or that our nephew is now home.

Bonnern

False
  • Re: Dazey Seal-a-Meal

You can use any Seal A Meal bags.  The problem is that they don't have the little holes along the side to hold the bag to the Dazey seal-a-meal.  I manage to seal even liquids but it is a real problem  trying not to spill while heat sealing.  That's why I  was doing a  search for bags with the holes along the sides.

False