If the power goes out, how long before food in the fridge spoils? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

If the power goes out, how long before food in the fridge spoils?

Last post Jun 10, 2005 4:11 PM by ReneeC___NCalif . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • If the power goes out, how long before food in the fridge spoils?
    We had a power outage last night at about 6:30pm. This morning around 9 it finally came back on. I opened the fridge, and everything in it was still cold, so should everything be okay or should I toss everything?
    False
  • RE: If the power goes out, how long before food in the fridge spoils?
    oh it should be fine-
    if you kept the door shut then stuff would have stayed cool
    False
    As long as the fridge door stays closed and everything is still very cool, it should be still good!
    False
    Okay thank you. I didn't open the door at all.
    False
    I work for our local Extension Office, check with the one in your county and the CFS educator can give you power outage food facts! I know with a full freezer that food is okay from a power outage for two days...
    False
    To be on the safe side, I'd probably toss any uncooked meats, mayo and mayo-based salad dressings--the more perishable items--from the fridge. Things like produce, ketchup, mustard, butter, cheese should be fine. And I'd keep an eye on the milk.

The freezer--food in there should be okay if there were still ice crystals on the packages.

A suggestion--if you don't have a thermometer in your fridge, get one. That way you could have immediately checked the temp when you opened the door--that would have told you a lot about the safety of the food inside. I always keep a therm. in my fridge and freezer. Well worth the minimal investment.
    False
    Hey it was off during the nighttime it wasn't like it was 106 outside!

The power of the nose----smell things if you're in doubt toss it, but I think things should be fine.
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

lol. Nope, it wasn't 106 outside, it was only 91. lol... Heat wave for Michigan! lol. Everyone probably had their air conditioners on and we blew the transformer in town.
    False
    I used to work at the Extension Office. We had a list (copies available!) that listed how long refrig and freezer items were good in outage. Different condiments are good for different times. Eggs/Milk/Butter all diff times. Pick one up and be safe.

Look at this as an opportunity to clean the frig!!!
    False
    On a related note:
    One trick to use if you are going on vacation is to put a couple of ice cubes in a plastic storage bag in your freezer. That way when you get home you can check the ice cubes, it is easy to tell if they have melted and refrozen.
    False
    Hey, I like that suggestion Cosetta...now let's see if I remember to use it sometime!
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.