Anyone know how to remove gasoline smell? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Anyone know how to remove gasoline smell?

Last post Jun 14, 2005 9:27 AM by BarefootCrone . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Anyone know how to remove gasoline smell?
    What a great way to start a day.I was showing my 15 yr old how to pump gas this morning before drivers training and he started punping the gas BEFORE he put the nozzle in the car! He got gas all over his new gym shoes.Anyone know how to get rid of gasoline smell onn his shoes?They are soaking in the washer right now,then I thought I would let them dry in the sun. But does anyone know a trick to remove the smell? Got to run to the post office and will check in later. Thats for any ideas you may be able to share!
    False
  • RE: Anyone know how to remove gasoline smell?
    If the sun doesn't do it...try spraying them with Febreeze after they dry out. On Recipes, several have suggested putting a bowl of white vinegar in a car to get rid of odors, so maybe a small (short)cup full pushed as far into the shoe as possible would help as well.

Good luck!
    Linda
    False
    Linda
    GET THEM OUT OF THE WASHER NOW! DO NOT TURN THE WASHER KNOB!!!

I know a woman who put her husband's clothes in the washer after he'd spilled gas on them, and when she flipped the knob to turn the washer on, it threw a spark and blew up. Darn near killed her, lifted the roof off the corner of the house.

Take them out of the washer and soak them in a container of water OUTSIDE. Air out your laundry room very well before turning the washer on.

False
    And please let me know you followed my instructions. Now I'm going to worry about you until I know you didn't flip that washer knob!
    False
    A citrus-based cleaner, something with orange or lemon oil, is generally good with odors.

I think you can get a gel-type hand washer that has an orange base. I would spread that on the shoes, let set overnight and then launder and dry in the fresh air.
    False
    BUMP
    False
    Simple green...just soak the item in it over night...
    False
    My Nieces husband worked delivering home heating fuel, the only thing to take the smell out of his clothes was Gain detergent, But it leaves a strong scent of it's own and my Sister and I are sensitive to scent, can't use Fabric softners,
    Try some Vinigar to,
    And if after washing and there is still smell there, But them in a Plastic bag with a bowl of baking soda or Charchol They will absorb the odor.
    False
    BarefootCrone... I was soaking them in the washer. But I did remove them after you told me about your friends accident How horrible never thought of that happening.Next time I will be sure to soak in a bucket. Thanks for the heads up. I have some Febreeze under the sink will try that. I was thinking about vingear also.If the Febeeze does not do it then I will try the vinegar or orange cleaner thanks to all.
    False
    I'm relieved!

Scuba, this woman was in her early 60s when she did this. It burned her face, hands and arms, and landed her in the hospital for a while. It literally lifted the roof of their house and shifted it a few inches. I shudder every time I think of it!

DH spilled some gas on his jeans one day a year or so ago. I hung them on the line and sprayed them with water from the garden hose until I was pretty sure I'd gotten most of it out, then left them there to dry for several days before bringing them in and washing them in the washer.
    False