how do you make MOIST cornbread | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

how do you make MOIST cornbread

Last post Jun 28, 2005 6:55 PM by Alaska_Prof . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • how do you make MOIST cornbread
    I made Marie Callendars corn bread last night. It's my favorite because it is cake like.

I've tried other brands and they seem to be so dry.

Do you have a good recipe for a moist yoummy cornbread?
    False
  • RE: how do you make MOIST cornbread
    I use either Corn-Kits or Martha White's cornbread mix. It hasn't ever turned out dry.
    False
    This is fantastic, the only way I make it now~!

Posted by: Lady_Creole Replies: 14 Posted on: 9/16/2003 12:14:30 PM
    #T230997
    My husband loves my cornbread so much that he refuses to eat anyone else's! Now that's what I call high praise! The taste and texture are perfect in every way. I hope you'll enjoy it too.

1 c. flour
    1 c. yellow cornmeal
    1/2 c. sugar
    3/4 tsp. salt
    4 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 c. oil (such as canola or corn)
    1 c. whole milk
    2 eggs

Preheat oven to 400°. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside. Whisk together the first 5 ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients and mix just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 18 minutes. Take a some butter and gently glide it over the top of the cornbread while still warm. Enjoy!

Note: I usually use an 8" square baking pan
    False
    Never heard of corn-kits, but have tried Martha White...not moist enough for me.

I will try this recipe, thanks.
    False
    Cittie, do you think that the whole milk in the recipe makes a difference? opposed to 2%
    False
    This is my old-time family recipe, its always moist and holds together well because of the 2 eggs:

Buttermilk Corn Bread
    2 large eggs, slightly beaten
    1/3 cup of butter or margarine, melted and cooled
    1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
    1 1/3 cups of cornmeal
    2/3 cup of all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    2 teaspoons of baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease a 9 x 9 inch metal baking pan. In a medium bowl, mix eggs, melted butter and buttermilk with wire whisk until barely blended. Sift together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly stir the cornmeal mixture into the buttermilk mixture just until just moistened - don'tover mix. Spread batter evenly in the pan and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean - don't over bake!
    False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

Sometimes when I want a sweeter cornbread I use 2 boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix and 1 box of Jiffy yellow cake mix. Combine all plus all the other ingredients and mix and bake in a 9x13 pan. Yummy with homemade grape jelly on it.
    False
    Yes, Here is my own recipe

1 & 1/2 cup self-rising corn meal, not a mix
    2 Tbs. canola oil(more for pan)
    1 egg
    Buttermilk(about 2 cups)add slowly until the texture you desire).

Mix corn meal, oil, egg and enough buttermilk to make a thick dough. Let it rest while you are heating the oven to 425 degrees and heating a cast iron skillet(8 or 9 inch) with some oil until hot. Pour in batter and bake until golden brown. This will be moist because of the buttermilk but will still have a wonderful cornmeal texture and will not be pasty like some that are made with flour.

Enjoy,
    ~Muril~
    False
    OMG, i'm going to be in cornbread heaven. they all sound great.
    False
    This absolutely works all the time and is my secret for wonderful cornbread.

Use Jiffy Mix and substitute buttermilk for the milk. Add a smidgen extra buttermilk than the 1/3 cup called for.

You won't believe what a boost this is to the flavor and moistness. My southern born and bred pastor loves my cornbread. Says it's just like Mama's.
    False
    I do it the 'cheater' way, too... Only I use one box each, of the Jiffy Cornbread Mix and one Jiffy Yellow Cake Mix....mix according to the directions on the back, all together and bake! It is SO good! And not so 'corny' tasting, which is why I like it better, and always very moist!
    False
    Oh, and,...sometimes in the fall I'll add a little maple extract or syrup to add a flavor kick.
    False
    miss ellie and creid, do you add all ingredients according to the cake mix AND the corn bread mix???
    False
    I use 2% milk.
    False