Potluck Theme Ideas | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Potluck Theme Ideas

Last post Jul 07, 2005 2:23 PM by GracieBlue . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Potluck Theme Ideas
    Hello -

We've decided to start up our monthly potluck office lunches again, and this time we're thinking it would be fun to have a theme to each.

Besides the obvious (Mexican, Italian, etc.) can you give me other ideas? I am going to look thru some of my TOH's for the "Getting in the Theme of Things" feature, but I just know some of you have great ideas.

Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Potluck Theme Ideas
    Soup potluck
    Salad potluck
    Finger food potluck
    All one color food potluck
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Picnic
    Luau (how the heck do you spell that word?!)
    False
    My list is off to a great start! Thank you 4boysmom & BarefootCrone!
    False
    If you work with people of different nationalities, you might have Cultural Potluck - everyone bring something that represents one person's country. Or just pick a country and everyone bring something popular there.
    False
    April Fool's potluck--all the food looks like one thing but is really something else. (For example, angel food cake sliced like bread with a spread in the middle that looks like ham salad or chicken salad.)
    False
    How about a chili cookoff?

If someone has one of those panini (sp?) sandwich makers - grilled pressed sandwiches you could potluck the makings and everyone create their own sandwiches!
    False
    The "all one color food potluck" (as suggested by 4boysmom) was always a favorite of mine. We had a black and white theme - sandwiches (white bread & roast beef), cola, chocolate anything, etc. And the best one was everything green theme - people really get creative sometimes and it was so much fun.

Nana
    False
    Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with your talent is your gift to God.
    1. Everyone has to try a new recipe.
    2. Make what's on hand...no shopping
    3. Appetizers
    4. Crockpot pleaser's
    5. Fun with stir fry
    6. Sandwich fix'ens
    7. Casseroles
    8. Put menu suggestions in a hat and draw out what each is to bring.

Molly
    False
    Ooohh - More great ideas! Thank you, thank you!!
    False
    This is one of my favorite thread ideas!

I used to work in an office of Taste of Home Readers and we thrived on this idea!

January - Snow theme, or all white food

February - I bet you thought valentines -WRONG- Feb 2 is Groovy Groundhog's Day - so share your favorite GROUND HOG (sausage recipes), maybe sunshine salad or see your shadow chocolate cream pie with pitchforks and shovels (forks and spoons). We would all sign up with code names for our foods, etc. Fun to see what you end up with.

March- St Pat's Day - POTATO Soup cook off/ or all green food!

April - Tax Day or the April Fools idea is terrific.

May - Celebrate Spring with a Salad Bar

June - Ice Cream Social

July - Green Card Day. We had to fill out millions (okay hundreds) of green cards for a system we used during the month of July. To celebrate the end of the green card tally - we would have an international cusine.

August - Fair Food !

Sept Back to School with Apples

Oct - Pumpkin dishes

Nov Election Day - Red, White and Blue Foods

Dec Cookie Exchange

Have fun, I AM SO JEALOUS!!!
    False
    Well, as I read through the answers I see all of my ideas have already been said. But I enjoyed reading this thread, what a neat idea!!!
    False
    I was remembering - when I was first married and very poor (as were my friends) for girls night we had taco parties - one brings ground beef, one tomatoes, one lettuce, one shells, one cheese, etc.

We rotated ingredients for our monthly get together so cost was even.

We stopped when someone tried to substitute ground deer meat thinking we wouldn't tell the difference with the taco seasoning - we all thought it was spoiled meat.
    False
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! We'll have some GREAT monthly lunches!
    False
    One time at work we had a pie baking contest. It was sooo fun and good. Everyone just baked their best pie. It was cool. Lots of wonderful pies of every kind.
    False