What happens if you eat moldy bread? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What happens if you eat moldy bread?

Last post Jul 25, 2005 5:34 PM by mollyg . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • What happens if you eat moldy bread?
    Yes, this is a serious question. Although, I don't think the bread was actually moldy. And it wasn't bread, it was a tortilla. The package had a 6/10 date on it. I think they had been in my freezer for a while. Anyway, DD & I each ate one before I noticed the date on the package. Not sure how long they had been in the refrigerator. And I didn't see anything suspicious. But . . .
    False
  • RE: What happens if you eat moldy bread?
    I don't think it would hurt you. They make penicillin from that mold, don't they?
    False
    I doubt you'll have any serious consequences. We are exposed to molds, viruses, bacteria and pollutants every day. Typically, our body fights them off. If you're concerned, you could take any of a number of supplements that have anti-fungal properties, including grapefruit seed extract, oregano extracts and olive leaf extract.
    False
    That is what I am trying to tell myself. I would think if they were bad they would have at least tasted a little funny. They were fun. Of course, that is scary, too. If they were that far out of date and weren't bad, what the heck kind of preservatives do they have in them?
    False
    As long as you aren't allergic to penicillin...
    False
    The garlic I take everyday has oregano in it.
    False
    BTW, we can keep flour tortillas in the refrigerator for months without getting mold on them. I think the dates are production dates and not expiration dates...
    False
    it'll cure the clap. :)
    False
    from a site where kids can write in with science questions. . .she had heard someone say you could get penicillin by eating moldy bread. . .

"Greetings Melody,

Yes, one could get very sick from eating bread mold. Many species of
    Penicillium grow on bread, and they contain toxins to humans as well as
    penicillin. Other species of a related genus, Aspergillus, look very
    much like Penicillium, but are very poisonous. Your friend should
    obtain Penicillin from the doctor.

Sincerely,

Steven E. Carpenter, Ph.D."
    False
    Penicillin is one type of mold which forms on bread. Another type causes halucinations. Not wishing to scare you, and a small quantity is unlikely to be harmful.

From an article I found:

Ergot, a bread mold, may cause hallucinations and death. It is suspected to have caused the strange behavior of the Salem "witches" in 1692.

That said, I have accidently eaten part of a tortilla before noticing the blue spot. I have suffered no ill effects.
    False
    We do like April, keep them in the fridge for months. I never look at the date on them, and I'm pretty picky about food.
    False
    If they were frozen they would be fine.

It's usually "use or freeze by".
    False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I ate old bread this morning and am here to tell about it. You'll probably live to a ripe old age.
    False
    Eww my first reaction was you'd get sick...

My hubby is the King-of-checking-expiration dates...he drives me a little nuts.

Did you eat it yet??
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

Yeah, already ate it. And I am a stickler about food safety. But I know there weren't any white, green or blue spots on them.
    False