Need some appetizers that travel well | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need some appetizers that travel well

Last post Dec 08, 2009 11:47 AM by Sheepfreak . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Need some appetizers that travel well
    I also posted this in recipes

Sweetie and I are going to friends this weeeked for appetizers and cocktails and I want to take something.

Do you have a tried and true appetizer or nibble thing that travels well?

Thanks!
    False
    Change the world by loving people!
  • RE: Need some appetizers that travel well
    Shrimp with cocktail sauce.

Nothing easier. Arrange on a platter once you arrive, and place a container of cocktail sauce in the center.

MountainMan

False

Cocktail weiners in BBQ sauce, heated in covered dish in the oven.
    False
    Pillsbury buns - open container and divide each bun into four pieces.

Melt some butter on the stove along with some bleu cheese. Dip these bread chunks in the sauce and then bake on a greased tray til cooked.

They travel just fine.

If you want exact measurements, it will have to wait til I get home. :)
    False
    tortilla roll ups

1 jar pacante sauce i use med.
    2 pkg cream cheese
    choped up black olives
    1 pkg ranch dressing mix
    chopped onion (optional)

mix all that in a bowl and spread onto flour tortillas roll up then cut in serving size pieces YUMM YUMM
    False
    No name for this treat but they are delicious. My mother always made them for her special dinner parties, and I have continued the tradition.
    You will need 8-12 slices of hard salami (sliced medium). Mix together in a bowl 8 oz cream cheese, sofetned, , 1 tblsp milk, 1-2 tblsp horse radish, pinch parsley. Mix throughly, spread thin layer of cheese mixture on one slice of salami, top with slice of salami, spread cheese mixture on that slice, top with salami, spread mixture and top with salami. Refrigerate for several hours until firm. Slice stack in small pieces securing each with decorative toothpick.
    Arrange on serving plate, garnish with parsley, and enjoy!
    False
    RE: ??? for Roma...
    Posted by: Roma Posted on: 8/13/2002 11:56:48 PM
    #R531268
    I was missing for a few days....my Server when down....I had withdrawal!!!!!

This is the BEST recipe; almost as good as the Dill Shrimp.Super easy! You don't have to use Pepper Jelly, you can substitute any kind of jelly, but I like one that is zippy!

PEPPER JELLY CHEESE CAKE

1 8 oz Pkg. Cream Cheese.
    1 Egg.
    2 Cloves Garlic.
    5 oz Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese.

Mix all together in food processor. Add 4 oz of Pepper Jelly. Pour into oiled 6" spring form pan and bake at 350 for 30 mins. Place pan of water in oven while cooking to keep moist. Cool in refrigerator for several hours. Spread Jelly over top and serve with crackers.

I like to use those little round thin crackers...sorry, I don't know what they are called ... think rice something. But anything will probably due. Let me know you like it! Everyone who has asked me for it loves it!

Take care.
    Roma

Pip, you will love this! It's easy and travels extremely well! If you don't have a 6" springform pan, buy one cuze it's worth it if you only use it for this one recipe....it's a real winner!
    False
    Crunchy Cherry Party Mix

Recipe By :
    Servings : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cherry Marketing Institute Miscellaneous
    Seasonal/Holiday Snacks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 cups bite-size corn or rice square cereal (such
    as Corn or Rice Chex)
    2 cups bite-size wheat square cereal (such as
    Wheat Chex)
    2 cups broken whole grain melba toast
    2 cups small fat-free pretzel twists
    3 tablespoons margarine or butter -- melted
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 1/2 cups dried tart cherries

Put corn or rice cereal, wheat cereal, melba toast and pretzels in a large bowl; stir to mix. In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, stir together melted margarine or butter, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and ground red pepper. Drizzle over cereal mixture. Toss to coat.

Spread cereal mixture in a 15 × 10 × 1-inch (or a 13 × 9 × 2-inch) baking pan. Bake in a preheated 300 degree oven about 25 minutes, stirring every 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven; stir in dried cherries.

Pour onto aluminum foil to cool completely. Store in a tightly covered container for up to 1 week. Serving size: 1/2 cup.

Description:"Easy-to prepare snack is a holiday favorite."
    Source:"Cherry Marketing Institute"

NOTES : For a whole new flavor, substitute 1 tablespoon jerk blend seasoning mix for the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper.
    False
    Thanks everyone! I've gotten some great ideas, now if I can just get Sweetie to pick out ONE recipe. lol
    False
    Change the world by loving people!
  • Re: RE: Need some appetizers that travel well
    I remember these from the 70s! They were called Salami Stack-Ups. I believe they were in a Family Circle or Better Homes and Garden cookbook of that era.
    False