what do you say in a "sympathy" card when someone loses a pet...? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

what do you say in a "sympathy" card when someone loses a pet...?

Last post Sep 24, 2005 10:37 AM by malkimus . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • what do you say in a "sympathy" card when someone loses a pet...?
    A co-worker had to have their long-time family pet put to sleep. Another co-worker is circulating a "thnking of you" card. We are asked to write a little something to her. I have lost beloved family pets before, but to be honest with you, this was a PET....not a person. I am having a hard time writing something sincere. I am sympathetic, yes, but not to the point of sending a card.
    False
  • RE: what do you say in a
    Is it a Chihauhua? I'd write ADIOS!

Sorry, that's probably insensitive....

Maybe...sorry for the pain of your loss....
    False
    In the card sections of stores in even the samllest size they will have a section called "Pet Sympathy" cards. The printed messages usually say it very well. In the absence of finding such a card, I would just say something like, I am so sorry for your loss. As in the case of the loss of a person, a couple of rules should be observed: 1) Never tell a grieving person not to grieve. 2) Never say something like, Well, you've still got three other children or two other pets or 3) Well, you can always get another dog (or cat)...they're a dime a dozen. Again, I would just say: I am so sorry for your loss.

--Had
    False
    I think it seems like a sweet gesture. Guess you could honestly say that you are fond of animals, too and understand how she feels.
    False
    I would just sign my name. If people insist you must write a note to her, put "thinking of you" and let it go at that.
    False
    We had to put Tigger down 3 months ago tomorrow. It still sucks!

I too think it's a sweet gesture.

You could just sign it, Fondly or Thinking of you.

Did I say it still sucks?

:(
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

To be honest?? I'm sometimes MORE sympathetic about the loss of a pet. I think its a wonderful gesture.

Simply sign, sorry for your loss.

oh and {{{{{Renee}}}} from your recently found kidlet
    False
    Awww I think that is a sweet sweet idea. I know when I have lost pets,people were very sad for me,but I never got a card. PLUS I have never done it for anyone close to me,I will now!
    False
    For some of us(like me!) our furbabies are like our 4-legged children. It is very traumatic to lose one of the "members of the family". My good friend just had to have their beloved Ticky(15 year old poodle) put to sleep & she cried like a baby & I was that shoulder that she cried on.
    False
    Molly, do you have pets?

When we had to put our cat to sleep in March DD#1 and I were literally basket cases. We cried for days. He was 17 years old and was my baby, just as much as my kids are. A simple "Sorry for your loss" would be good.
    False
    RE: what do you say in a
    Posted by: f_lowerchild_co_45 Posted on: 9/23/2005 6:37:39 PM
    #R6445940
    Is it a Chihauhua? I'd write ADIOS!

Sorry, that's probably insensitive....

"Probably"??? Try VERY insensitive and stupid!!
    Maybe I think so because I lost my baby less than a month ago and I am still trying to deal with it.
    False
    For in the final analysis, our most basic common link, is that we all inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's futures, and we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy Click for Manassas, Virginia Forecast
    You can buy "lost of pet" cards anywhere and they're very nice...
    False
    I for one don't like to sign sympathy cards, period. I never know what to write, and it seems like 100 other people who signed it before me have said the same thing. Either "Sorry for your loss" or "You are in my thoughts and prayers" or "Thinking of you". I much prefer to speak to the person face to face and say "Sorry" or something to that effect.
    False
    If you don't have a personal sentiment to add, since it's a group card, you can simply sign you name. Or "With sympathy, uokiok2."
    False
    Whoops....why did I think this post was started by Molly?
    False