What is currant jelly? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is currant jelly?

Last post Jan 19, 2004 8:26 PM by BurnedBiscuits . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • What is currant jelly?
    I have a recipe that calls for currant jelly but I don't know what that is and probably don't have it on hand. What can I use in it's place. It is a chicken dish that calls for it.

Thanks!
    False
  • RE: What is currant jelly?
    You can use seedless raspberry jam, or possibly even grape.
    False

Thank you:)
    False
    Look in the jam/jelly aisle of your grocery store. Do you have the jelly brand name Mary Ellen where you live? They make a great red currant jelly.
    Currant jelly has a great tart taste. Can you try to go buy some, or do you need to make a substitution right now?

Does anyone here know what a good substitute would be? Grape jelly may do nicely. :)
    False
    i don't know how to explain it except it is jelly made from currants red in color and wonderful in all sorts of sauces especially game. i love it with venison. you could probably substitute raspberries or red pepper jelly as they would be the right color.
    False
    Currant Bush

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

The English word 'currant' has been used for this fruit only since 1550, taken from the fruit's resemblance to the dried currants of Greece, raisins made from a small seedless grape.

For more advice - see www.Google.com and type in: Red currant jelly.
    False
    Thanks guys. I called my neighbor and she happend to have some. I'll be sure to pick some up next time I go shopping.

Learn something new every day!
    False
    Thanks for the momories!

We used to have some wonderful currant bushes in our front yard when I was a kid. Unfortunately, Mom never had time to make jelly with it with three small kids!
    False
    Currants are sour little berries that make you pucker! But they make
    good jelly.
    False