Are you stiff and sore when you wake up in the mornings? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Are you stiff and sore when you wake up in the mornings?

Last post Jan 21, 2004 7:33 AM by conniek_wi . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Are you stiff and sore when you wake up in the mornings?
    Does anyone know how to prevent this?? I'm too young to feel this old!
    False
  • RE: Are you stiff and sore when you wake up in the mornings?
    For myself, regular walking and stretches helped, plus I take Organic Apple cider vinegar which breaks down the acid crystals that build up in your joints and cause premature stiffness. I still have some aches but a lot less. :)
    False
    George Washington Carver "The secret of my success? It is simple. It is found in the BIBLE, "In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths"
    For me the problem is that I love to sleep on my
    stomach which I know is a BAD idea! I am not saying
    that this is in your case, but loosing weight also
    helps quite a bit. Another hint that I learned from
    my Dr. is to sleep with a pillow between your knees
    while laying on your side. It takes the pressure off
    of your spine. Good luck!
    False
    I do stretches in the morning and then soak in a warm tub. Stay warm, don't get chilled. Don't think arthritis knows any age but then I am 60. I feel better when I keep moving. Winters are rough when you can't be outside in the blessed sunshine.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    I too am 60 but I have an electric blanket and I think it helps me. I also think the key is to keep warm.
    I personally have felt the winter weather more this year than ever before. Especially in my fingers. But I do have arthritis and also fibromyalgia. But I try to stay active and dress warmly. Here in SW Pa we have had some really cold weather so far this year. I keep telling my husband we need a two week RR in Arizona. LOL My husband just recently went to the dr for his knees and he told him to take 4 Aleve a day and they seem to be helping him. However, you have to be careful because if you have a weak stomach they could effect you. He is taking them under the dr's care.
    Have a great day everyone!
    False
    My doctor told me for the past ten or so years to exercise, exercise. I put off doing this and wallowed in my misery which included high BP and arthritis. I finally did join a fitness program and try to exercise twice a week. I feel much better and have lost six pounds. I am on a semi-low carb diet, meaning that some days I do and some I don't. Probably eating the apples and oranges are helping. Those are foods I would shun if I could get mac and cheese. I'm really trying this time.
    False
    get a real good back support mattress, i did a couple years ago, paid a small fortune, but it is worth every penny!
    False
    Am I ever! But after so many xrays and doctors, its a non-skeletal problem. I have had this for at least 5 years too. The last doctor gave me pain meds and a muscle relaxer. They semi work. The muscle relaxer makes me too groggy the whole next day so I don't take more than a half! My pain settles in my left hip and knee. I can pin point it and tell them when it hurts etc. They don't know why I am in pain or what is causing it. I think my next doctor is a chiropractor as a last resort. Never been to one so it could be an experience! I usually sleep with an electric blanket too and I spend alot of time in my whirlpool bathtub!
    False
    Andrea
    For a period of time I was taking Glucosamine once daily. I did this because I fell last winter and it helped my knee get rid of the soreness. I really think the plain Glucosamine really helps the joints. I no longer take it, and am stiff sometimes in the morning, but I take a Tylenol before I go to bed at night and think it helps the situation. Sometimes I think my stiffness in the morning is due to being tense when I sleep at night and of course, you don't realize it until you wake up. Stretching is also good in the morning for loosening up the joints at the beginning of the day. I am pushing 70, but try to keep active even if it is just doing housework. I do get outside and walk if the weather is not bitter cold.
    False
    Yes, especially lately because I can't turn over easily. One thing you can try is stretching your arms, legs, and back before you actually get out of bed.
    False
    My stiffness and soreness is better in the morning when I use a pillow designed to keep your spine in alignment. A knee cushion is good too but I usually kick it to the floor in my sleep.
    False
    I use to hurt so bad in the mornings... I had to roll off the side of the bed and land in the floor before getting up. Seriously
    Dh hurt too.
    We bought a new mattress and box springs.
    Presto...no more pain.
    False
    I might have mentioned this before somewhere here. My DH has rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyaligia. I bought him a mattress pad called a "Cuddle Ewe". Very expensive but it helps him sleep better.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    Mornings are my worst. I have arthritis. I feel the same way. To young for all of this.
    False
    I too do stretches before getting out of bed. But not because I ache and hurt....it just feels good. I have to say though, because someone did mention they use one. I would get very stiff and sore when I did use an electric blanket.

Stormy
    False