Take in food for funeral? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Take in food for funeral?

Last post Jun 30, 2006 3:57 PM by Zippi_MO . 42 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (43 items) 123
  • RE: Take in food for funeral?
    Lunch meat variety tray, buns, fruit salad, bundt cake.
    Or a covered dish that can be heated up.
    False
    Not to slam you, 2Magnolias, but it should be illegal to take green bean casserole to a wake. Have you ever seen it after an hour or so? ::shudder::
    False
    The neighbor told me that the beverages we brought over were fantastic. So many people stopping in that needed something to drink. We brought over soda, coffee and tea. Nothing that needed refrigeration as that was a space problem at her house. We also think that next time a cooler with ice may be nice.

Gail
    False
    We usually do the paper thing also. A small canister of coffee, a small thing of creamer, kool aid mix, soda, plastic cups. Plastic forks, plates, tp, napkins and paper towels. Also some of the reheatable disposable containers. That way if there is leftovers, they have containers ready.
    False
    When a friend lost a child, I knew there would be plenty of food, so I stopped and got an inexpensive foam cooler and filled it with cans of pop and ice.

Afterwards she told me how great that was. The frig was packed with food and they could keep refilling the cooler with ice and drinks. After the funeral, she used it to send food home with out of town son.

Now I watch for end of picnic season and pick up a bunch of the foam coolers on clearance just for this.

Neighbors and close friends - I take food, too. I cook in foil containers so that they can pop it in the freezer if they have too much.

For funerals at church (we always provide a meal) I bring vegetable casserole. We provide meat - there are always plenty of potato dishes, salads and desserts. Country Woman has some great mixed veggie things that hold well in crock pots.
    False
    I like to take some kind of sandwiches, made up and ready to eat. Also brownies, a sliced pound cake, maybe cookies.
    False
    When my DH passed away there was plenty of food, drinks, paper goods, etc. furnished for the time before the funeral and for the lunch that day.

The funeral was at 2 PM and my SIL's church furnished sandwich trays, chips, dips, drinks, and cookies for all those that came to the house afterwards.

Everything was appreciated, but I really remember everyone going by to just pick up a sandwich, etc. as they were visiting.

One of the best things that was brought were kitchen helpers who kept up with all the dishes, made lists, prepared the meals, cleaned up the mess, answered the phone and in general took care of everyone in the family. Three of them were at my house when I got home from the ER and there was someone there until the day after the funeral.
    False
    Treasure each other in the recognition that we do not know how long we shall have each other.
    I am a very good baker so I tend to stick with what I do best, big platters of assorted squares, cream puffs, cakes and cookies. I add cans of coffee, tea and iced tea, creamer and sugar.
    False
    We have a friend whose 20 year old daughter died...her daughter had an 18 month old daughter and baby's dad was not in the pitcure. So...we took their family a lot of baby things...diapers, wipes, milk, finger foods like Cheerios and crackers, and we loaned them a bunch of cartoon videos. She baby sat her granddaughter a lot, but always at her daughter's house, so she didn't have much "baby stuff" around her house...
    False
    I think some sort of dish that only needs to be reheated is usually best. Cold meats, crackers, cheeses, salads etc are also appreciated. A tray of sweets never hurts either when it's time to have tea and/or coffee.
    False
    Just a thought here, there is usually so much food brought in to the home right at first. Everything is, of course, appreciated but someone bringing a hot meal or casserole, or whatever, a week or two afterward was so very nice. It also gives you a less hectic time to talk with the grieving person.
    False
    While I appreciated the food everyone brought over when Bill died, I did not have all the room for it, even with two refrigerators/freezers. I ate some of it but most had to be tossed. People did stop in, but after running around making arrangements, I just wanted to rest. Here, in CT, esp. for large funerals, we go out to eat, esp. for a large funeral. It's hard to coordinate food and drink for over 100 people.
    My friend who just lost her husband said the same thing. THough she had people back to her house. There were several hundred people in church. But she had her friend go around to certain groups and tell them to come back to the house. I didn't go back that day, I was worn out and it brought back memories, of losing a husband too young.
    False
    I just read ukiok's post before mine. She is so right---there is too much food right in the beginning. Food a week or two after is better. It made me depressed to have to throw out good food.
    And please, no houseplants. I know people's intentions are good, but just the paperwork that needs to be done when someone passes away is mind-boggling. I love plants and have quite a few, but taking on new ones at that time....
    Another friend surprised me a month later with a kitten. I told her thanks because I am in and out. Going on day trips and longer trips cheer me so who would take care of a pet?!?She and her daughter said we even brought food for the kitten, let her stay overnight. I gently thanked them but said no.
    The best thing to do is ask what the person/family needs.
    False
    Instead of because in my last paragraph that should be but I am in and out.
    False
    What I remember the most from my DH's death (which involved a lot of stress the day before) was that my sister arrived at my house at 6:30 AM with sausage biscuits and coffee from Hardees. Of course I hadn't slept the night before and this really hit the spot. Later on, we had so much food the fridge wouldn't hold it but I still remember those biscuits.

At my Moms, someone brought a tray from SUBWAY full of sub sandwiches. These were ideal for the children and others to "grab a sandwich" on their way to or from somewhere.

All the other suggestions are great too.
    False