???? RED or GREEN Handle OLD Kitchen Utinsils ??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

???? RED or GREEN Handle OLD Kitchen Utinsils ???

Last post Nov 07, 2005 8:37 AM by TuesdaysChild . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • ???? RED or GREEN Handle OLD Kitchen Utinsils ???
    I have been collecting these all in red for about the last 2 years at Garage Sales. Have about 50 or 60.
    Don't ask me why, I don't even have a place to display them.
    Which is older red or green. Also the other day at a rummage sale DH found one that was a Tourquoise and it was not repainted. Very old looking.
    Is there a book on these ? What is your oldest and unusual piece.
    Cassiebabe
    False

Barbara Anne

• RE: ???? RED or GREEN Handle OLD Kitchen Utinsils ???
    Quit buying them. You are going to deplete the supply. LOL! ;)

I really do not know which is oldest, but I am beginning to think of some utensils I received as wedding gifts, which I still use, are becoming antiques! :-)

False

I found a hand cranked cheese grater in it's original box from the 40's. I love it! It's in perfect condition and I use it all the time. :)

Pat
    False

If we had no faults of our own, we would not take so much pleasure in noticing those of others.  ~

M&M, to funny. But I know what you mean. I could kick my self. I sure wish I would have kept what my Gramma had.
    I just think there is a lot of history behind these people with all the women who used them daily.
    They didn't have the Kitchen Aide mixers, and Queinsarts and so on like we do now.Oh and the BULLIT !!!!
    Tues Child,
    That was a great find and also with the box. Nice that you are using it also.
    Cassiebabe
    False

Barbara Anne

I believe the green ones are older. I have a book and will look and see what it says.

As for the KitchenAid? Yep they did!!! Be back
    False
    Cassibabe, that's my ONLY justification for buying old kitchen utensils.....they have to be usable or I don't buy them. LOL. That keeps a handle on how crazy I get whenever I am at an auction or garage sale. :)

Pat
    False

If we had no faults of our own, we would not take so much pleasure in noticing those of others.  ~

OOOOhhhh, typing so fast I left out the "e" in your name. Grrr, I hate to misspell someone's name.....sorry!

Pat
    False

I have this book called Kitchens and Gadgets 1920 to 1950. I always thought that the green was older, but I just read a paragraph that said that in the mid 1920's magazine articles urged woman to bring color into their kitchens. "Mary's and Abraham & strauss each launched a campaign for "color in the kitchen" in 1927. They offered housewares in coordinated colors of Apple green, Mandarin red, and Delft blue, including everything from paring knives to canisters to tables."

I believe that the turquois(sp) came in the 50th. (not sure, I wasn't there).

I have another book that goes with this one that is on kitchens of that time. I was telling the Roses the other day that in it, it shows a stove that had a dishwasher in it. There was an ice box that lowered intothe floor. And also you know how Kitchen Aid has the dishwasher in the sink now? They had that back then, too. There is a picture of a sink on the long legs with the dishwasher hanging down.

As for the kitchenAid, I believe that the first one is from back in the 20's. I don't know where I put that Kitchens book. I beleive that Hamelton Beach was the first mixer back in the 20's. I believe that I have their second model complete with bowls. It works, too!!!
    False
    Hand that chees grater over!!!! You did good!

I don't use mine. Well, there are a couple of things I use, but mostly, they collect dust on my Hoosier cabinet. I love the green.

Cassie, I believe there is a new book and I will see what it is called for ya
    False
    Hoos, I have wrapped both hands around my cheese grater! MINE! You shall not have it. LOL

Pat
    False

Well, I know there is Atomic Kitchens or something like that. I looked on Amazon and they are offering my book.

"Kitchens and Gadgets: 1920-1950 (Paperback)
    by Jane Celehar"

I know there is an updated one by someone else, but I can't think of the name. If you can get the book above along with her other one, you will enjoy them.
    False
    Don't be selfish, Pat!!
    False
    You mean I have to go back to scraping my cheese with clean fingernails! sob!

Pat
    False

EEEEWWWWWWW.

Ok, I won't take it from you!!
    False
    LOL I knew that would work!

Pat
    False