Does Echinacea go bad? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does Echinacea go bad?

Last post Dec 06, 2005 3:08 PM by BarefootCrone . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Does Echinacea go bad?
    I have a super bad cold and I was cleaning out the medicane cabinet to see what we had that I could take, and I found some Echinacea with Goldenseal root. by Natures Way. I paid 13 bucks for 100 capsules summer of '04, and there are 61 capsules left and they expired january 2005(almost a year ago). Are they still good. We only take them when we feel a cold coming on, I don't what to throw them out if they are still good, but if they won't make a difference anymore then I don't want to hang on to them. They actually saved my cat when she was really sick, we just sprinkled a little bit in her food and a week later she was as good as new. Any advice would be great. ;)
    False
  • RE: Does Echinacea go bad?
    I've used them that far past date. My biggest concern would be that they would have lost their effectiveness, especially if they were kept in the bathroom (steam can compromise most meds).

What you really need is Airborne, Coldeeze lozenges and Vit. C. Trust me on this!
    False
    BFC, Do you know what's in "Airborne?" I have heard of it but have never purchased it.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine
    False
    Mostly herbs. I'd have to go find the bottle and look it up. Nothing narcotic.

Several weeks ago my daughter was so sick with a cold that had gone into her chest. When I first felt it (head cold), I immediately started the Airborne, Coldeeze and Vit. C. The cold never got worse, was much better within 24 hours.
    False
    Jeannine, I can't find the Airborne right now. Sorry!
    False
    Found it online!

Supplement Facts: Serv size 1 tablet. Servings, 10. Amount per serving: Calories 5, Total Fat 0g, Sodium 230mg (10% DV*), Total Carb 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 0g. Vitamin A (Palmitate) 5,000 I.U. (100% DV*), Vitamin C 1,000mg (1,670% DV*), Vitamin E (Acetate) 30 I.U. (100% DV*), Riboflavin 2.8mg (170% DV*), Magnesium (Oxide & Sulfate) 40mg (10% DV*), Zinc (Sulfate) 8mg (55% DV*), Selenium (Amino Acid Chelate) 15mcg (20% DV*), Manganese (Gluconate) 3mg (150% DV*), Potassium 75mg (2% DV*), Proprietary Blend of Maltodextrin, Lonicera, Forsythia, Schizonepeta, Ginger, Chinese Vitex, Isatis Root, Echinacea 350mg (DV**), Amino Acids (Glutamine as L-Glutamine, Lysine as L-Lysine HCl) 50mg (DV**).
    *Daily Value.

Other Ingredients: Citric Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sorbitol, Potassium Bicarbonate, Natural & Artificial Orange Flavor, Mineral Oil, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium.

False
    Oh Thanks BFC, you didn't have to go to any trouble, I was just curious as to what it was. In the past I have always taken zinc, vitamin C, and echinacia with good results but I will give this a try next time I get the crud.

Thanks Again!
    Jeannine
    False
    No trouble at all! Glad I could help.
    False