Real or Imitation Vanilla Extract - Does It Have a Shelf Life? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Real or Imitation Vanilla Extract - Does It Have a Shelf Life?

Last post Dec 12, 2005 12:12 AM by Bride_of_Cow . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Real or Imitation Vanilla Extract - Does It Have a Shelf Life?
    Noticed on the packages sell by certain date but do they have a shelf life? I had bought Real Vanilla Extract at Sam's quite a while ago and didn't know if it had a shelf life or not. Since it does have alcohol in it a friend said stays good forever. What do y'all think?
    False
  • RE: Real or Imitation Vanilla Extract - Does It Have a Shelf Life?
    I am using pure vanilla extract that is several years old. It's still good.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I think your friend is right! I make my own vanilla extract and I use so much of it it never goes out of date. LOL.

louie
    False
    i've had it in the cupboard for longer than i can remember at least a year i'd say (before i turned into a obsessive baker lol) and it was fine.
    False

Either one is made of mstly booze and everybody knows that unless it evaporates it lasts and lasts, and lasts.......
    Grelo
    The alcoholcontent is on the label.
    False
    Thanks for the info. :o)
    False
    How do you make your own vanilla extract -- that sounds like something I would like to try?
    False
    To make your own vanilla extract, place 1 whole vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise, into 3/4 cup (180 ml) of vodka. Cover tightly and let steep for 6 months before using.

False
    A recipe for pure vanilla extract:

Ingredients:

Bourbon, whiskey, brandy OR vodka
    6 to 8 vanilla beans

In a glass 1 quart container, pour liquor. Split each vanilla bean in half lengthwise and place in container.
    Cover lightly and let set for 9 months to a yar in a cool, dark place. That's it...wonderful, dark vanilla.

VANILLA EXTRACT

One whole vanilla bean
    One pint brandy

Cut vanilla bean lengthwise to reveal seeds, then cut in one-inch pieces. Put into brandy bottle and shake it every couple of days for six weeks. Strain it if you like. NOTE: Because it is pure, you'll find that you will use less than most recipes call for.

I use the first recipe all the time. Have a bottle of vodka with the vanilla beans "brewing" in my back room.

louie
    False
    i make my vanilla extract by taking 1/2 bottle of pure vaniila extract and adding vodka to it. then i slice a vanilla bean and place it in the bottle to steep for 6 months. make triple stength vanilla extract..

i make lemon exdtract the same way except i use leopmon zest rather then then the vanillabean.
    False
    Real vanilla has a much better shelf life. And it is a better quality. Imitation is like an alcohol and it can go bad in about 5 months.
    False
    I don't think it can really go bad in the sense of being harmful, as it doesn't have any sugars for bacteria to feed on, so I'd say as long as it still smells like vanilla, it's fine.
    False