can I substitute regular cornmeal for self rising cornmeal? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

can I substitute regular cornmeal for self rising cornmeal?

Last post Jan 29, 2006 12:27 PM by PeytonsMimi_NC . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • can I substitute regular cornmeal for self rising cornmeal?
    Recipe calls for:
    1 1/4 c yellow cornmeal
    3/4 c all purpose flour
    4 tsp sugar
    2 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup + 2 Tbsp low-fat buttermilk
    1 egg

I only have self-rising cornmeal. Can I substitute that for the regular cornmeal and leave out the baking powder? What about the salt? Leave it out or put it in?

Gotta run - will check back later.

Keep bumped for an answer, please.

TKS!!

Peyton's Mimi :)
    False
  • RE: can I substitute regular cornmeal for self rising cornmeal?
    I think I would leave out the salt and 1 tsp. of the baking powder, still add 1 1/2 tsp. BP.
    False
    I would use self-rising cornmeal and self-rising flour and leave out the baking powder and salt.

If this is cornbread, I'd leave out the sugar!!! LOL!! We don't like sweet cornbread.
    False
    I found this on Recipezaar:

Substitutions: 1 cup plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup self-rising cornmeal

1 1/4 cup cornmeal + 3/4 fat-free milk + 1 tbsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1 egg, lightly beaten = self-rising cornmeal mix
    False
    The problem, as someone aluded to is the leavening. The self-rising cornmeal will not have enough leavening to take care of the flour, too, so you need to reduce the amount of leavening, but you'll still need some for the flour--does that make sense? Let's see, for 3/4 cup flour, you'd need about a teaspoon of baking powder.
    False
    Good grief. Too much for my mind. I'll just send DH to the store. LOL!

PM
    False
    If using Butter milk in any recipe it is a good idea to add about 1/4 tsp of baking soda.
    False
    i only use self-rising cornmeal and i never add anything more than egg, bacon grease and milk to my cornbread, sometimes i just use the recipe on the package, but again i never add more levening. as long as you let the batter rest 3 or 4 minutes before pouring it into the pan, it rises nicely.
    False

I agree with Footsie - however I do use buttermilk.
    False
    Ok. Sent DH to the store. I've got corn bread muffins in the oven now. This is a new recipe (I usually do my cornbread like Footsie) so I'll let you know if it's any good. One cornbread muffin has 2 weight watcher points.

Thank you all!
    Peyton's Mimi
    False