What is considered a high fever for a teen? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is considered a high fever for a teen?

Last post Dec 10, 2012 9:47 AM by beeje . 35 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (36 items) 123
  • RE: What is considered a high fever for a teen?
    You're quite welcome. Please keep us posted on his condition. If he sounds really congested & starts to cough up bloody or rust colored phlegm he probably has pneumonia. He does need to see a doctor tomorrow.
    False
    I only have to work from 8 to 11:30. So I'll take him in after lunch.

Thanks Palomino...:) JUDY
    False
    Just keep alternating the Motrin with the Tylenol...every 2 hours give one or the other...and in the middle of the night, just a cracker or two will work for something in his stomach. And with a fever, he should be drinking a glass of something every two hours when he takes the Tylenol or Motrin.

The cool shower was a good idea, but if he should get too weak to get in the shower safely, put cool cloths or ice bags at the pulse points...like in the groin, the armpits, the back of his neck...that will help to bring the temp down, as well!

At 17 - if his temp continues to go back up that high and fluctuates back and forth...that's too high for an older teen, and you'll need to have him seen by a Dr.
    False
    I meant to add, keep a notepad and write down what you gave and what his temp was. Throughout the night, when you're tired, it's hard to remember what comes next, or what you gave last!
    False
    I can give him tylenol and ibuprofen 2 hours apart? Isnt that dangerous for the kidneys?
    False
    creid?
    False
    Oh, gosh. I remember having to write down things when mine were sick. You are so right.

Popsicles are good for temps too, or that is what I gave mine when they were younger.

My DS still wants popsicles when he feels bad. and he is 24.
    False

catmint

It is ok to alternate every 2 hours for a short time. Do not do this for more than a couple of days without seeing the dr. Hope your DS feels better soon.
    False
    I'm so sorry - I got hung up on a TV program we were watching.

Yes - as Leora said - it's OK for the short term. And he's close to adult age, so unless he's very, very small for a 1

So you give 400-600 mg of Ibuprofen at 10 PM, then 2 Extra Strength Tylenol at 12 Midnight, then two Ibuprofen's again at 2 AM, then 2 XS Tylenol at 4AM, etc....If he finally falls asleep and he feels cooler to the touch or you think his temp is down, don't wake him....but otherwise, I'd keep up the rotation.
    False
    I went back to add something in the middle of that last paragraph, and POOF - It posted itself before I was finished!

I was about to say, unless he's very small for his age, he can have adult sized dosages...like the 400 to 600 of Motrin, and the XS Tylenol!
    False
    I concur with those saying alternate the Ibu and the Tylenol every two hours. If his temp spikes he could go into convusions. The combo of the two can keep that from happening. I know that from personal experience with my DH and from what the Dr. told my sister regarding her DH.

Also agree that if you don't see improvement soon to get him into the Dr.

Glad his temp's going down. An excellent sign! :)
    False
    Connie Visit my blog at: Boondock Babble
    It was a battle all night and today. His fever rose to 104.8 today. We took aggressive action alternating tylenol and ibuprofen, cool shower, cool cloths, lots of liquids, light clothing and bedding,Italian ices etc. Finally at 2:00 the fever broke. the dr appointment was at 3:50.

Turns out he has the flu...a high fever flu going around in our area. Doc was worried that he might of had mono or meningitis. But they did a nose swab and the flu showed up immediately. doc gave him some new flu med and to continue all we have been doing. also, he is to eat healthy and drink loads of liquids and to stay on the tylenol/ibuprofen alternately.

I am tired but over stimulated. I was up alot during the night. I think I will go to bed soon. But I am not turning off.

I have been sneezed on, coughed on and cried on today. Poor guy. He still loves his mommy at 17 (18 in april)

False
    Judy, I'm glad it's "just" the flu, although that's nothing to mess with.
    I think I'll cover my nose and mouth while passing by W-ville!
    False
    LOL Grandma! :)

You may have to cover your mouth for a couple weeks because I am sure we all are in for a flu season of our own!
    False
    I was just in the hospital a few weeks a go with high fever of 104. They said you need at least 1000 mg of Tylenol to try to reduce a fever, they recommended tylenol over motrin.

My high fever had me dehydrated in no time.

I say at least call the doctor.
    False

Rebecca