I lost my homemade recipe for doggie ear wash | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I lost my homemade recipe for doggie ear wash

Last post Dec 26, 2011 5:53 PM by dreamerw7 . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • I lost my homemade recipe for doggie ear wash
    UGH it was a miracle wash. Cured up earmites. I know the ingredients but not the amounts. the one I`m looking for has
    Alcohol
    Bedadine
    vinegar
    boric acid
    The woman who had this on her website raised crocker spaniels. TIA

Charm
    False
  • RE: I lost my homemade recipe for doggie ear wash
    Alcohol in the ears? I would be hesitant to include that.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I grew up next door to a Vets assistant. What she suggested, and always worked for my pets was swabbing with alcohol, followed by swabbing with baby oil.
    False
    Connie Visit my blog at: Boondock Babble
    Found this, Charmbaby, via Google:

Your veterinarian will sell you an ear wash to use regularly. As a substitute, you can use a half-and-half mix of white vinegar and water. The vinegar counteracts the climate that nourishes yeast and helps to reduce the likelihood of an infection.

Veterinarians are now discouraging the use of hydrogen peroxide or isopropyl alcohol as ingredients for homemade ear washes for dogs. Hydrogen peroxide, they have found, actually eats away at tissue; the alcohol, even diluted, will burn if there is even a slight irritation already present.

Ears should be wiped down daily to remove general dirt. A damp wash cloth of a pre-moistened towlette works well for this. At least three times a week cotton ball, dampened with your cleaning solution, should be used daily to clean the crevices around the outer portion of the ears; a cotton swab is okay to use to clean inside those wrinkles. Do NOT use a swab to reach down into your dogs ears! You can cause pain or more serious damage.

To keep the inside of the ears clean and healthy, use your cleaning solution at room temperature. Gently pour enough into the dog's ear to fill the canal and, from the outside, working from the base of your dog's ear (where it attaches to the head) massage it thoroughly. Most people would be surprised to learn how deep the ear canal actually is; spend about 10-15 seconds working the cleaning solution deep into the ear by massaging from the outside while holding your dogs ears up to keep the solution from running out. This will help loosen normal dirt and wax.

Use cotton balls to dry as much of the ear as you can reach without pushing down into the ear canal.

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

The recipe I had my vet approved. The ear wash she had given me had alcohol in it as well. But it was pricey. 20 bucks for a 16oz bottle. I have 6 dogs so using it twice a day was expensive. thanks

Charm
    False
    I've got a cocker spaniel so I'd be interested in this. I have been using equal parts vinegar and rubbing alcohol.
    False

Rebecca

Good info, Renee! I like the idea of using vinegar. I know it's done wonders for my ears! I used to use peroxide for my ears but found when I needed to use it more often than once a week I began having other problems. I switched to vinegar and was amazed at the results!
    False
    Connie Visit my blog at: Boondock Babble
    when i clean my dog's ears, as soon as i pour in the cleanser, she shakes her head, flaps her ears and sprays me with it. LOL
    i have to keep a good grip on her ear.
    False
    I use half and half vinegar and alcohol for my own ears.
    You can buy OTC ear cleaners for dogs that work as well as what you can get from the vet. They probably won't cure ear mites, but they sure help prevent stinky ears and infections.
    False

Ok I finally found it. Just had to search 1000 crocker spaniel sites to find it here is the link to the recipe if u r interested. Thanks so much -Charm

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleaner.html
    False
    bump
    False
    I have been using vinegar in Zaynes ears, but didn't know to pour some in the canal. I have just been wiping with it in his ear.

I had been putting perioxide in Sammy's ear, but after the vet told me it could damage tisse, when my Mare's ear was messed up, i stopped.

My sister's boyfriend puts perioxide in his horses ears, and I told him what the vet said, but, i don't think he listened to me.

False

catmint

• Re: I lost my homemade recipe for doggie ear wash

I just saw this recipe online.  go to www.zimfamilycockers.com

False

This is my Blue Power recipe we usa at our rescue; Cocker Spaniel

INGREDIENTS:

16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol 70%
    4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
    16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%

Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well.
    You will also need to shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder.
    To use, purchase the "Clairol" type plastic bottle or a small baby ear syringe bottle to dispense solution to affected ears.

TREATMENT: Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore do not attempt to pull hair or wipe ear at all. Wait until inflammation has subsided before wiping, which will be about 2 days after initial flush.

False
    Spaniel Ear Cleaner Recipe __________________________ Ingredients: White vinegar Powdered boric acid Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) Betadine antiseptic (or the generic version, known as Povidone-Iodine Solution) Please note: do not use "Betadine Scrub", use "Betadine Solution" Directions for mixing the solution together: Pour six ounces of isopropyl alcohol in to a plastic applicator bottle. Add one and a half teaspoons of boric acid powder. Be careful not to get any boric acid on your skin or clothes. If you do, wash it off immediately. Shake the solution extremely well, until the boric acid powder is dissolved, or for five minutes, whichever comes first. Add two ounces of white vinegar. Shake the solution some more, until the boric acid powder is dissolved, or for another five minutes, whichever comes first. Add one teaspoon of the Betadine antiseptic, and shake it up some more. Be careful not to get any Betadine on your skin or clothes. If you do, wash it off immediately. The ear cleaning solution is now ready to use. http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleanerRecipe.txt
    False