adult daughters and birthday gifts.... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

adult daughters and birthday gifts....

Last post Mar 13, 2006 5:51 PM by kaye12000or . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • adult daughters and birthday gifts....
    what do you buy them???? they never want anything...but then need lots of things...I know my mom had that trouble when we all got married and had no money....I remember one birthday they gave me money with instructions that "I spend it on me", not the kids or family....it was nice. I remember I bought underwear....funny how those memories stick with one....

The past two years I have purchased jewelry for my two girls...stuff I know they will not buy for themselves....one being a working mom with two boys and the other single..and having average jobs...and that money needed other places...

My Kmart is having a great sale on all jewelry..70% off...so today I will go and buy them each a pair of gold hoops, 14 karat....I already have them each a string of fresh water pearls and pearl studs....I know they would not buy thoses things for themselves....

Now if I had boys....I would let my husband decide what to get them...but we have girls...and the one soninlaw loves Starbucks, so he gets a gift card from them for his birthday....

With younger kids it's pretty easy, but as they get older it sure gets harder....and I love jewelry, so it's an easy choice for my girls....
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

• RE: adult daughters and birthday gifts....
    my DD is only 5....but she will get a gift from me/dh untill the day we die....

my mother never forgot anything,Valenties,Easter,Birthday,day dh and i got married.....sometimes they were silly gifts,in a way but they were all came from her heart...

now that DH sons (aka my stepsons)are older he just gives them a card for their birthday with $25. in it..
    False
    My DD will 22 next month and it is a bit harder to buy for her. I did purchase a special birthstone necklace for her 21st birthday. Her birthstone is diamond and we purchased one in a heart shape. It was a bit pricey but I told her that she needed something special on that particular birthday. And I think jewelry is great for any adult DD because we don't tend to spend the money on those types of things...we spend any extra money usually on the kids! So any "extra" is great-perfume, jewelry, book, is a great idea for a Mom.

One idea I did for my hopefully future SIL (my DD's wonderful BF) is to purchase him a Hollywood video gift card. They love movies but as both are students their idea of a night out is a DVD and $5 Little Ceasar's pizza! So they loved the video card!!!

SUE
    False
    Kind of depends upon the year, what she needs, what she wants.

In the past, we've gotten her electronics--a tv, a portable DVD player, or a VCR. For Valentine's day this year, I had her great grandmother's ruby ring sized for her. And on occasion, we've gotten her things like tires or other car care needs.

Still a few months till her b'day this year, so can't predict what we'll be getting her, but she has been wanting a particular exercise machine, so maybe that, if she doesn't get it for herself in the meantime.
    False
    Do you have a bath and body shop around? A gift card from them would make me delighted!
    False
    I have a 25 year old, she likes gift certificates for hair salons, Gift certificates to Target (she likes their clother and usually can find something there) or a certificate to a favorite restaurant...some people I worked for were all jewelry..ed out...You can only use so much jewelry. (my neice would kill me, she owns a jewelry store)
    False
    I think the pearls and earrings are a great idea. My mom usually sends me a gift card from Target or Sears, since she lives 2000 miles from me.
    False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more
    Knowing how much I love to cook and entertain, my mom often gets me things related to that, which I happen to love. She gets me things she knows I will like or that I've been wanting in that area usually, not just something she happens to see.

At Christmas time, sometimes she will ask for ideas, and if I'm out of my perfume or something like that, I'll offer those for ideas. I usually don't get jewelry from my parents; never did. But, there are a lot of us kids, and I think that was just out of the ballpark money wise for good jewelry. I think for the department store type less expensive stuff, my mom just thought her four girls had all varied taste and she wouldn't know what to get :) She gets us trinket boxes and things like that sometimes though that are beautiful.

Amy
    False

We usually add to our single adult daughter's hope chest with things like more pieces to her chosen china pattern, or high quality pots and pans, stuff like that along with something more personal like clothing or gift card to get some, stuff like that. This year I plan to get her some of her current favorite fragrance.
    False
    My DD's are 17 and 19 they love money to buy what they want. When they move out and are on there own I will get them a gift certificate for there favorite store or the mall, and then when they have a wedding anniversary ( if they choose to get married that is.) I will get them a gift certificate for grocieres or there favorite restaurant. Lol I have it all planned.
    False
    My mom does a good job of paying attention to thinngs I have mentioned. One year I even got a cross-cut shredder because they knew I needed one.
    False
    Hi there, I am a stay at home mom and so don't have extra money to spend on myself so I love it when I get a gift card with instructions to buy for me not the kids or even a gift card for dinner, movies or anything that is a treat that I don't have to take out of my budget. How about a lunch out with you or a trip to get a manicure with you? a gift certificate to where she gets her hair done? any pampering service would be nice. K Ohio
    False
    My oldest DD has taste similar to mine in buying things for her home. I also like to give her gift certificates to places I know she'd love to shop, but can't afford.
    Youngest DD is very picky and loves expensive stuff. She's a photography major, so equipment is always appreciated, electronics are appreciated. I would NEVER buy her clothes(DH takes that risk). She is too picky and it's always the wrong thing.
    False
    I found that I cannot seem to suffessfully buy dd clothes any longer either. If I want to give her clothes, I just give her a gift card.
    False