Is there any way to save rancid nuts? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is there any way to save rancid nuts?

Last post Dec 31, 2011 4:38 PM by cast_iron_king . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • Is there any way to save rancid nuts?
    Could you boil them or something? I'd just hate to throw them away.
    False
  • RE: Is there any way to save rancid nuts?
    Don't think so. I'd put them out for the squirrels.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I don't think so. Toss them. Next time you buy nuts keep them in the freezer taking out only what you want. Let them come to room tremperature for best flavor.
    False
    Nuts are so expensive. I just hate to throw them away. I have a several pounds of walnuts that have just begun to turn...
    *sn0wflake*
    False
    Snowflake,
    I hate to throw expensive nuts away. I always keep them in the freezer. If they smell a bit off. I do put them in the oven to toast them. If they are not too far gone. This does seem to help. All I can say is preserve, preserve.
    False
    Toss em.

I keep mine in the freezer, along with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, etc.

donnac
    False
  • Re: Is there any way to save rancid nuts?

I live out in the country and running to the store is not an option when i need a ingredient for a recipe. I was in the middle of making a cake which had walnuts as a main ingredient. When i opened the walnuts that i had just bought from the grocery they did not smell right. I had dinner guests arriving in just a few hours. I was frantic so i had to get inventive. I put the walnuts in a big pot of water and boiled and rinsed them twice. Then i spread them out on a cookie sheet and roasted them. The rancid taste was gone and no one was the wiser. However i am sure that any nutrients were gone and i would never suggest you do this unless it is an absolute emergency.  LOL  the cake was a hit. 

False

I am particularly sensitive to the smell of rancid nut oils (and other seeds, like sesame).  For me, I haven't found that re-roasting them helps.

I have found, however, that raw nuts and seeds stay fresh much longer than roasted ones.  So I recommend buying them fresh and only roasting what you plan to use in a month.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

There is a toxin one can get from digesting rancid nuts. It is wise to toss them. And don't give them to the squirrels, birds, deer, or any other animal. You will poision the animals. Even animals can tell when things are not right.

I freeze my nuts too. Just make certain you place them in a container or storage bag and seal the container or storage bag. I just remove what I need from the freezer, grind them up, and use them in what I am making.

It's better to be safe, then sorry.

False

Well, after over 5 yrs, wonder if she is going to come back and tell us what she did with those darn nuts. Stick out tongue

False

I bet they are really nasty now since this post originated in March of 2006.........

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

um um good!

False

Maybe she ate them and that is why we haven't heard any more. Confused

False

vickibangs
    I was frantic so i had to get inventive.

But, but you could have gotten very inventive without using the walnuts.  You could have made something else or you could have just left them out.  Or, you could have gone shopping at home and found something else to whip up and still none of your guests would have been the wiser.  You could have skipped having a cake altogether and you could have told your guests you were going to make a cake but your nuts were rancid so you're having jello instead.  There's always room for jello.  Smile

When I find out I have rancid nuts in my life I get rid of them right away.  They're not worth saving so why would I even try?  I do that with or without guests arriving soon.  lol.

Souchef, LOL!

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

How/why do these ancient threads get bumped by a newbie?

Wilted Flower

False