Can you keep a spare fridge in your garage unplugged | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you keep a spare fridge in your garage unplugged

Last post Mar 19, 2006 1:21 PM by Morningdove_Wa . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Can you keep a spare fridge in your garage unplugged
    to use in needed times without it smelling stale. I know that you need to keep them chained and locked, but I have one that runs most of the time with maybe 4 or 5 things in it. I would love to be able to use it at special times and getting rid of it would be a problem. Just wondered if any one has this problem. Used it a lot, but now am a widow, and seem to be just paying electricity. I know that I could probably give it away, but would kind of like to be able to use it whenever I need it. Is there anything I can put inside to keep it from smelling?
    False
  • RE: Can you keep a spare fridge in your garage unplugged
    Bowls of activated filter charcoal. The kind sold in pet stores for aquariums.

Kathy♥
    False
    Try Baking soda...
    False
    Yes you can but put something to wedge the door open so it gets air flow. Also you could put a few peices of charcole in a dish to absorb odors. Oh, don't forget to wedge the freezer door too.

Question for you though. Why do you have to chain and lock them? Isn't your garage locked?
    False
    License
    I understand that there is a law on keeping them locked because of small children getting in them. Most of the time my garage in locked, not all time-and seldom have any small children around. But, there have been children, for some reason, that have hidden in them and died. Also, keeping door wedged might allow insects or birds to get in-garages do have those things occasionally. I am just trying to decide what to do with it.
    False
    I think if you do store it unplugged it does need some air space or it will get sour smelling. Our movers had me put a bowl of fresh coffee ground in ours when we had to store the refrig for a couple of months before we moved into our new house.
    False

Does it really use that much electricity? I wonder how much it costs each month to run it? Any ideas?
    False
    How about wedging it and turning it towards the wall so nobody climbs in it.

The most deaths to children are cause by people putting their frigs out buy the curb for disposal with the doors on them. The doors need to be removed and set to the side so the frig can't be closed
    False
    License
    I know. Call you Sears appliance department and ask them how to store it
    False
    License
    i do i keep a box of baking soda in it......and keeping the door open just a hair..
    False
    and unless its really really old, keeping it plugged in or not your not going to notice a dif. in you electric bill...
    False
    Call your electric company & ask what it costs to run the average refrigerator. One time we got a print out with our bill telling what various things cost. If it's only a small amount, it might be worth it to keep it plugged in to save any possible odor problems. Once they smell funny, it's sometimes hard to get it out.

If you have a neighbor that you are good friends with, maybe she would like to share the space with you.

If not, & you want to unplug it, call an appliance store & get their suggestions. Also could call the company that made it, or check their website to contact them to get their advice. It depends on how long you would keep it unplugged between uses, too.

Let us know what you decide to do! :o)

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

We have an old one in the garage that we are going to recycle if DH ever gets around to calling the recycling place. It did use a lot more electricity than the new one does...we've been keeping track.
    False
    Of course, you know you have to clean it before unplugging. Just thought I would add, but sure you know that.
    False

catmint

This is from www.ask.com I typed in "storing a refrigerator"--next page under Moving & Storage---

What is the best way to store a fridge when it won't be used for a couple of months? We live in Texas so it's hot from July to September ... when I would have to store it. Any tips? Thanks,

For long term storage you need to fire up the unit every year or so to lubricate the compressor motor, but for short term?

Just make sure that bacteria doesn't get a grip inside. Keep it very clean, make sure it's dry inside, also leave both doors ajar at least an inch.

How do I store a refrigerator in an unheated building. Do I unplug it and leave the door ajar or do I leave it plugged in. Temperatures can get as cold as -20. Thank You

You’re best to leave it unplugged with the doors ajar. Do not just turn the control to off. If you leave it plugged in some heaters may still be operating even with it turned off.

If you're talking years and years, you should plug it in and let it run for a day or so every year during the summer when its about room temperature in your storage area, otherwise I've seen the valves stick and render the compressor nearly useless. The cold environment won’t matter to the unit.

Also, beware of mice. They can cause a lot of damage to refrigerators as they use the insulation to make nests and chew on the wires.

Personally, I would leave it plugged in, open & close the door a couple of times a week. It will think it is being used! If mice get in it, you will have more problems than what can be solved here! lol

Good luck!
    Karen :o)
    False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast