Waiting to turn left at an intersection...? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Waiting to turn left at an intersection...?

Last post Apr 05, 2006 9:01 AM by JoBlank_CO . 23 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • RE: Waiting to turn left at an intersection...?
    I found this online:

In some states it is legal to enter an intersection in order to make a left turn and then wait in the intersection until there is a gap in the traffic in the opposite direction, or the traffic lights change to red and stop the traffic in the opposite direction, subject to the following two conditions:
    If there is a traffic light then it must be green (either a green circle or a green arrow). If there is a separate signal for left turns then that signal applies. You must never enter an intersection for any reason on a red light.

The road into which you are turning must be clear. You must not enter an intersection for any reason if the traffic in the road you are entering is backed up to the intersection.
    This rule seems to vary from state to state. For example, the Oct-98 printed edition of the Illinois Driver's Manual "Rules Of The Road" says: "If you enter an intersection when the light is green, you may finish your turn even though the light turns red" (Chapter Three: Traffic Laws - Right-Of-Way).
    On the other hand the California Driver Handbook 2002 (external link verified Jul-02) says: "Do not enter an intersection, even when the light is green, unless you can get completely across before the light turns red. If you block the intersection, you can be cited." (Laws And Rules Of The Road - Traffic Control At Intersections; checked Jul-02).

False
    Tree, I think the Illinois law is concerning turning while in the intersection and the California law is about just going through the intersection.

Here in California we pull up as far as we can to let the cars behind us pull up too then turn when we can. Most intersections have enough room for 3 cars (6 if counting both sides). I hate it when the car in the front won't pull up and only he gets to turn >:{
    False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast
    I disagree, I think the California law applies to any time you are entering the intersection.
    Otherwise you end up blocking the intersection when the light has turned red or at least there is a huge risk of that.

Often there is a big difference in what the law says and what everyone does.

Georgia law only states that you cannot block an intersection.
    False
    My driver's ed. teacher taught me to pull out. He said it helps you get a better view of oncoming traffic and you are more prepared to go when the opportunity comes. It is important to judge the distance and speed of oncoming vehicles to determine if you have time to turn. He said hesitation is a big no-no because it confuses the drivers behind you and scares oncoming traffic because they are not sure if you are going to dart out in front of them. Pull out, stop, and wait for your chance.
    False
    In New Yorki state it is in the drivers manual and there are practice tests on line also. It says you should pull into the intersection when turning left...
    False
    I usually pull ahead cautiously. I also get peeved when the car ahead of me doesn't pull up enough so I can go through too.
    False
    Have noticed alot more drivers blowing yellow/red lights when they could have easily stopped. (The straight-ahead traffic.)

Last week we were merging onto the expressway, limit 65. The wierdo on the merging lane stopped, almost causing a several car collision. He just sat there, then when the expressway was just his way, merrily tottled along. We were right behind him, followed by about 5-6 vehicles.

We pull up into the intersection, and will finish our turn after it's safe to do so.
    False
    I always pull out as far as I can then I can usually turn as the light turns red
    False
    Most of the busy intersections in our town have green left-turn arrows now.

I don't know how many of your cities and towns are doing this, but around here there are cameras set up at intersections to catch red-light runners. The camera gets a pic of the driver and the license plate and the guilty driver gets a nice hefty ticket in the mail. Invasion of privacy? I don't know, but I like the idea...there have been too many wrecks caused by red-light runners.
    False