How can I keep banana slices from turning brown? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How can I keep banana slices from turning brown?

Last post Apr 07, 2006 1:27 PM by Rebecca_WV_40 . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • How can I keep banana slices from turning brown?
    I want to make Paula Deens "Not 'Yo Momma's banana pudding" for Easter dessert. When ever I make this the banana slices are brown or black by the end of the day.
    I thought with them being stirred into the pudding they would be somewhat protected. It looks nasty when they start turning brown, and I don't want to eat it that way.

Any ideas?
    False

Rebecca

• RE: How can I keep banana slices from turning brown?
    I pour about a tablespoonful of fresh lemon juice in a cup of water and fill a spray bottle with it. Then I spray the banana slices (not too much, you don't want them soggy) and proceed with the receipe. Works for me.

Pat
    False

If we had no faults of our own, we would not take so much pleasure in noticing those of others.  ~

Thanks, I was wondering about something with lemon juice. I was thinking maybe if I lay them out on a paper towel and brushed them with a diluted lemon mix if that would work.

Or what about that fruit fresh stuff, would that work?
    False

Rebecca

I think the fruit-fresh would work. You also might consider orange juice rather than lemon, as not to bring down the sweetness of the pudding.
    False
    Alice Henneman, MS, Registered Dietitian and Extension Educator
    University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension in Lancaster County

How Can I Keep Cut Fruit
    FromTurning Brown?
    Keep cut fruits, such as apples, pears, bananas and peaches, from turning brown by coating them with an acidic juice such as lemon, orange or pineapple juice. Or use a commercial anti-darkening preparation with fruits, such as Ever-Fresh (TM) or Fruit-Fresh (R), and follow the manufacturer's directions. Cut fruits as close to serving time as possible.

Cover and refrigerate cut fruit until ready to serve. Avoid leaving cut fruit at room temperature for more than two hours.

False
    Sprite or 7-UP works very well.
    False
    Hmmm, the orange or pineapple juice as an alternative sounds good. Lemon juice can change the flavor a bit.

Pat
    False

If we had no faults of our own, we would not take so much pleasure in noticing those of others.  ~

Hey, I will have pineapple juice at the ready since I'm making ham.

The pudding is very sweet, it has sweetened condensed milk. I can't wait, I'm hungry for Easter dinner already, lol!
    False

Rebecca

Only thing, I know I'll just use a little pineapple juice, but I hope it won't ruin the "Set-up" of the pudding.
    False

Rebecca

If you're concerned about it being too much liquid and that it may affect the set-up of the pudding, you could use just a little less of the liquid that goes into the recipe.
    False

My family would have that dessert gone so fast the nanas wouldn't have a chance to get brown.
    False
    Fresh pinapple juice would might hurt the set-up of the pudding, but cooked won't. Cooking denatures the enzymes.
    False
    Jumping in here. Thanks, Bride. Good info.
    False
    This is off topic but I was reading a post you made the other day and I believe that you said you went to Belleville IL high school. I went to Belleville East a long time ago. Judging by your screen name I would guess that you are alot younger than I am. I just came back from visiting Belleville last month.
    Debbie
    False
    Debbie, I graduated in 1985. What about you?
    False

Rebecca