Can I put bleach inmy dishwasher? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I put bleach inmy dishwasher?

Last post Jan 12, 2007 2:46 AM by KitchenFairy . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Can I put bleach inmy dishwasher?
    My dishwasher inside is getting so orange-think from tomato based stuff. Can I run a cycle with bleach where the detergent goes. I tried vinegar-no luck. Thanks for the help!
    False
  • RE: Can I put bleach inmy dishwasher?
    Yes, you can use Tang, too.
    False

Rebecca

thanks-I don't have Tang-so I'll try the bleach. What in Tang makes it work??? Kinda scary that we can drink something that would bleach a dishwasher!
    False
    When we have a cold or flu in the house I put a cup of bleach in during the wash cycle to help kill germs that the hot water and soap might not kill.
    False
    Ascorbic acid...

You can also try some of the newer products they may have out. Check the dishwasher detergent aisle next time you shop so you'll have some on hand.
    False

Rebecca

I use bleach in mine once in a while. I think it disinfects the inside of the dishwasher.
    False
    we drink tea and after awhile the tea stains just don't come out...i put a capful of bleach in my diswasher once or twice a week...it works!!!
    False

Do you put the bleach in with the dishwasher detergent or just do a cycle with bleach?
    I've never tried this but I like the idea of bleach to kill cold & virus germs & was just wondering if there would be a reaction.
    I noticed on almost every single hand dishwashing detergent there is a warning NOT to mix with bleach.
    I didn't see the warning & mixed a little bleach with the dishes I was washing & there was immediately a foul odor so I unplugged the sink & ran copious amounts of cold water & am scared to try again.
    Thanks,
    Marie
    False
    Cascade makes what is called "plastic booster". Gets rid of the "orange" residue in a dishwasher. Comes in a red tube. Can get it at Wal-mart. Fill up the cup dispenser and run machine on longest/hotest cycle (empty). I use it about once a month.
    False
    yup i do it at least once a week.
    False

I use Electrosol dishwasher detergent, and I don't have that problem anymore. It seems to work better than Cascade and it's cheaper too. I use the tablets with the Jet Dry power ball in them.
    False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy
    Gee I'm glad you asked that question, zilla.
    I've never had a dishwasher before, but the place I live now has one. I've often wondered if you have to clean them, which I know sounds silly, but you have to clean the bathtub and it washes a lot less gross stuff. (Well at least MOST of the people here don't have eggs and other food morsels stuck on them)

False

*This post has likely been edited for spelling and/or grammar at least five times.

I usually pour a half cup of clorox in the bottom of my dishwasher every couple of weeks. I also use mild clorox water and a tooth brush to clean around the sides of the dishwasher where the door seals.
    False

wow...I asked this question almost 3 years ago! Was very suprised to see it again!:)
    False