bitter spaghetti sauce | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

bitter spaghetti sauce

Last post Apr 26, 2006 11:36 PM by slaskey . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • bitter spaghetti sauce
    every spaghetti sauce i make tastes
    great, but has a bitter aftertaste.
    how can i neutralize the tomato
    sauce?
    False
  • RE: bitter spaghetti sauce
    Sugar.
    False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

Yep...sugar.
    False
    "The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." John Kenneth Galbraith
    Linda is right!

1/2 tsp. of sugar and baking soda!

These are a must!
    False
    Try a pinch of baking soda.
    False
    I use brown sugar, not white.
    False
    LMAO...this reminds me of once I was babysitting my nephew at his house, and I was going to make spaghetti for dinner. They had no sauce, so I had decided to make it from scratch...I never had before....I mean...it was easy, right? I was trying to impress him, acting like Emeril and "bamming" the spices into the pan. Well, it came time to eat, and the spaghetti was disgusting...the dogs wouldn't even eat it. We threw it out, and ordered Pizza. My nephew is now 12, and still asks me NOT to make anymore "recipe spaghetti"
    False
    Sometimes I don't measure my herbs and get too much in the recipes. That makes a bitter after taste. Sort of like a bite.
    False
    Sugar was my first answer too, and then I remembered some additional advice I heard... My friend's Dad is Italian and used to run a pizza parlor. They made all their own spag and pizza sauce. The dad warned NOT TO STIR tomatos too long in fresh sauce. Stirring too much can cause the bitter taste in the tomatos. The hint about spices is correct, too. Use only spices you know are fresh (not 2 yrs old from the back of your cabinet, as I have done in past!) and measure until you get a feel for how much you like. Additional garlic can mask the bitterness as well if you are trying to save a sauce you already made. NOT garlic salt.. just g. powder.
    False
    Sugar...I add it to sauce from a jar too, to cut the acidic taste.

Splenda works great for this.
    False
    Never heard of baking soda?!

A teaspoon of grape jelly works.
    False

Rebecca

I use brown sugar instead of the regular sugar.
    False
    weird. i can my own tomato sauce, and make my own spaghetti sauce, too. it's never bitter, and i don't add sugar to it. maybe i should.
    when i make spaghetti sauce:
    pour in just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the sauce pan. add minced garlic and onion. we like a lot of garlic and onion. saute those for a few minutes until the onion is clear. don't burn the garlic! add basil and oregano. the rule is to add twice as much basil as the oregano. too much oregano might be what is making your sauce bitter tasting. so, if you add 3 teaspoons of basil, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of oregano. saute that for a few minutes.
    then add the tomato sauce and simmer. i sometimes need to add a little salt, like 1/2 teaspoon. you probably won't need to add salt if you use canned sauce from the store.
    False
    finely grated carrot will help also.
    (It dissolves into the sauce and cuts acidity)
    False
    Could it be the garlic? If you put the garlic in the pan when you first start cooking, it can brown too much and become bitter.
    False