Sno-cone syrup | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Sno-cone syrup

Last post Jun 10, 2006 3:29 AM by gr_elo . 23 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • Sno-cone syrup
    DS loves sno-cones. We have a little sno-cone maker from Rival. I haven't wanted to take the time to make the syrup from scratch so I've been buying it. It's hard to find so I buy whenever I see it.

A few weeks ago I saw the syrup at Target. Bought a bunch of flavors. The problem is this stuff isn't thick syrup. It's too thin.

Any ideas on how we can make this into actual syrup?
    False
  • RE: Sno-cone syrup
    Hmmm.....just a guess here but I think my first thought would be to cook it until the sugar thickens. The kind we buy comes in little sleeves like popsicles, which means small servings, so I'd probably put it in the microwave for a few minutes, stirring every so often.

No idea if this'd work but it's the first thing I'd try.

FYI - my kids love shaved ice but I hated the messy syrup so we just use plain shaved ice most of the time now. It's a nice summertime treat with no mess, no sugar, no calories! They can eat it before bedtime without having to brush teeth again. ;o)
    False
    What about adding some jello.?..

see below...

Posted by: joan1 Posted on: 6/9/2005 11:52:57 PM
    #R5853916

I found this one at Pampered Chef recipes.

Snow Cone Syrup
    1 cup water
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon favorite extract or flavored syrup*
    Heat water and sugar until warm and sugar dissolves. When, cool add extract or flavored syrup. Store in a container such as an empty water bottle.
    *Use Toroni or da Vinci flavored syrups. Hawaiian Ice Syrup is sold at Target stores during the summer months when they sell shaved ice machines.

I use to have a great recipe that came with my "Ice Shaver" machine. It was pineapple juice and your favorite jello flavor mixed together and frozen.

I think it was 1/2 pineapple juice and 1/2 water plus the jello.
    You could use it without freezing and shaving.

False
    Posted by: M_Wolverine

Posted on: 6/1/2005 10:35:07 AM
    #R5806210

Thanks Cittie! I usually have to buy the flavored syrups by the gallon from a recipe supply house. I make them at our family re-unions for the kids and I'm usually the most popular guy there. LOL

Then wait until nightime around the fire and make more for the adults using different flavored schnapps or Pucker to top them with. I get pretty popular with the adults too. *grin*

John
    False
    The sno cones I make I use frozen or fresh fruit/berries whipped in the blender until pourable. It's thick and stays on the ice and so much healthier with real flavor and vitamins.
    False
    Have you tried pre-chilling the syrup in the fridge? Perhaps it's only too thin at room temperature.
    False
    BOC, yes, we tried that. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    I was thinking what NAE said...cooking it and seeing if it will reduce.
    I hate to waste these 8 bottles I bought
    False
    heating it up didn't work...it just made flakes of something to appear LOL

I'm now trying freezing it
    False
    I always used kool aid. It was easy and stored well in fridge.My kids always had a snow cone stand and I sure was glad I had an ice maker to keep up.Bathroom dixie cups and straws cut in half.

1 pkg of unsweetened kool aid
    1 cup of sugar
    1/2 cup of water

Stir until sugar is melted. Store unused in fridge till needed.
    False
    bump for tree
    False
    thanks.

False
    If I lived near you, I'd offer you a bit of the xantham gum we bought. That is what we've been using to thicken and smooth the texture of frozen drinks.
    False
    could you use something like cornstarch to thicken it?
    False
    I don't know what causes the syrup to be so thin, but this I do know...did you ever check the sugar content in the syrup? Nearly all of them contain 40 plus grams of sugar. I refuse to buy it with that much. I did find a bottle of Hamilton Beach Snowman brand snow cone syrup with just 12 grams of sugar. Since my grandchildren have not been here since I bought this, I have not tried it yet. Hope it does well though. I used to buy a brand at a department store near here by the name of Kohl's with about 22 grams of sugar. However I have not seen it there this year.
    False
    If you shop at WallMart, I happened to notice they had a huge display of the syrups today--in with their seasonal tableware, etc. Didn't check the price since I wasn't looking for it, but that section of shelf was like a rainbow
    False