Is 17 grams of sugar in one Activia cup too much for a diabetic? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is 17 grams of sugar in one Activia cup too much for a diabetic?

Last post Jun 27, 2006 6:03 AM by Pingg . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Is 17 grams of sugar in one Activia cup too much for a diabetic?
    My Dad has stomach problems. I told him he might try the Activia, but, told him to check the sugar content in it, because he is diabetic.

He doesnt have to take insulin, because he can control it with diet, and is very good controling it.

this says 17g sugar content in it.

They have it in lots of flavors, now, including prune.
    False

catmint

• RE: Is 17 grams of sugar in one Activia cup too much for a diabetic?
    He can count it as a carb serving from a meal, or take it at a time of day (usually night) when his insulin is at its most effective... or add a few minutes of exercise to compensate. He'll just have to check his sugar a little more often to see how it's affecting him. Maybe he could take a split dose twice a day - sorry, not familiar with Activia or his particular stomach problems.
    False
    No, Catmint, 15 grams is a serving so he should be fine if he works it into his total carbs for the day.

However, I have heard some good things about Activa but also heard some negative things so you might want to check with his Dr first.
    False
    (googled) oh, THAT! A much much better probiotic choice would be acidipholus (Sorry just butchered that spelling) "Pearls." You can find them in Wal-Mart's pharmacy section, but they can be expensive.
    False
    Thanks!

Fay, what are the negative things you have heard? I just bought a pack today, and just ate one.

Exercise is out for him, right now. He is down in his back. He can't even walk too well right now.

He is in his upper 70's
    False

catmint

Here's more good info about the acidiphilus (?!) Pearls.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/et/pearls.html

http://www.enzy.com/products/display.asp?id=944&cpmid=853
    False
    Thanks, Dreamer.

I am not sure whether it will help his problem. Maybe he can talk with his Dr. about it, first.

False

catmint

If Activia would help him, the Pearls would help him a hundred times more effectively, without any of the sugar/fat/additives/etc.
    False
    = )
    False
    I'll tell him about that, also. Thanks!
    False

catmint

What about buying plain yogurt (check the label to make sure it contains acidopholus-sp?), then having him add his own fruit to it?

Activia is just a marketing tool. Most yogurts with active cultures will give the same benefits.

And the capsules--available at health food stores are excellant. Just be sure to keep them refrigerated.
    False