has anyone heard of putting moth balls around the house and in the house to keep mice away? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

has anyone heard of putting moth balls around the house and in the house to keep mice away?

Last post Aug 18, 2006 10:42 PM by hvacwife . 23 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • has anyone heard of putting moth balls around the house and in the house to keep mice away?
    mysister told me that if you put mothballs in and around places in the home and outside,mice will stay away, i live in the country and i wonder if anyone knows if this works!
    False
  • RE: has anyone heard of putting moth balls around the house and in the house to keep mice away?
    We put moth balls in our camper and did not have a problem all winter.

TammyinMaine
    False
    Tammy in Maine Fuzzy and John(best Friends)
  • RE: has anyone heard of putting moth balls around the house and in the house to keep mice away?
    I've heard they work for mice and snakes.
    Use extreme caution if you have children and/or pets.
    And if you use them in your house then everything in your house will probably smell like mothballs.
    It might be a good idea to check out some other options.
    False
    For in the final analysis, our most basic common link, is that we all inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's futures, and we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy Click for Manassas, Virginia Forecast
    Go to your Walmart or grocery store & buy a bottle of Oil of Peppermint Extract. Soak cotton balls with it & place in your pantry, cupboards, anywhere you have seen evidence of rodents. It repells them because they hate the smell of it! This really works!
    False
    I wouldn't use the mothballs. They contain benzene, and the fumes can be toxic, especially to pets. The peppermint oil would probably work, though. I have a built-in mouse eliminator. It's called a "cat".
    False
    The moth balls will work but I wouldn,t use them they are toxic.
    My in-laws would put them out when they closed the fishing cabin for the winter and it kept the mice away but it was awful to enter next spring. Everything smelled and even the papercups in the cupboard tasted like moth balls. We finally convinced them to quit using them.
    False
    I hadn't heard of using them to keep mice away but some people around here use them to keep snakes away. The smell though.........blech......it would make me want to stay away too!

I've wondered though, I didn't think snakes could really "smell" so does it really work? :o)
    False
    Oil of pepermint does work. Can even use it on your bird feeders so the squirrels stay away. just put some on cotton ball & rub the feeder,Squirrels just hate.
    Good luck
    False
    My friend lives in a brand new home out in the country. She has two Ultrasonic Pest Repeller in her house.
    You just plug them in and no worries.
    You can't hear them but mice can.
    It goes by the size of your house how many you need.
    You don't have to worry you'll never seen any.
    False
    I've used them to keep cats out of my flowerbeds, but you have to replace them every time it rains. It works. . . but it's a bit pricey.
    False
    I haven't had any luck w/the oil of peppermint, but a good exterminator works wonders.
    False
    We put mothballs under the trailer home we were living in a few years ago to ward of what we thought might be rats, oh gosh I cant think of what kind they were...
    After a couple days though I couldnt take the smell and was getting sick so we removed them.

Instead got a couple live traps but still never got the critters.
    False
    Please listen to Mogghie (anybody that has pets).
    Moth balls are very toxic to pets.
    They damage the liver and will cause death.
    False
    When I lived in the country, we used 'Hedge Balls' or some call them 'Hedge Apples'. They worked for us! No smell either & they last until Spring.
    False
    I have heard htey keeps Dogs out your flower beds.
    False