I need meal ideas for possible gallbladder problems. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I need meal ideas for possible gallbladder problems.

Last post Feb 13, 2004 1:52 PM by chef80085__MI . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • I need meal ideas for possible gallbladder problems.
    Only 24 hours into this and I already can't handle it. It amazes me what she told me not to eat. Anyone have some yummy menu ideas? Also, what can I eat out tomorrow?
    False
  • RE: I need meal ideas for possible gallbladder problems.
    TreeHug, I knew someone would ask. The list is at home. But the jist is grains, canned fruit and juice, chicken, jello, angel food cake, jams, jellies, honey, eggs (poached or boiled) and some other things that I can not remember.

No dairy unless it is skim. No spicy, no junk food, no fat. I'll post the rest when I get home.
    False
    BTW, lunch was rice with soy sauce and cotton candy and caffeine free diet coke.

BTW, no chocolate either! :(
    False
    Baby Food..............
    Just kidding CQ, been there, done that, in fact mine has been calcified for 50 yrs after I had a very painful infection.
    One thing for sure, you lose weight on such a diet.
    What is the problem??? Sizable gall stones or just gravel? Or infection?
    Hubby had a little stone stuck in the duct, between 1/8 and 1/4" in size but very painful. Dr said OK when I asked him if I could give him a teaspoon full of organic, x-virgin olive oil 3X p day on an ampty stoach. Old folk medicine from Europe and I have not researched whether it causes just lubrication or dissolves small stones/gravel but it worked. The darn thing disappeared and an x-ray after 10 days showed no sign of it.
    Have no idea if it would work for large gallstones or infection but would ask a doctor in any case. And ask a pharmacist who is hooked up to the website of Pharmacist Letter and the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. My book (data base from 2000) says the oil is used for gallbladder problem but I can't get the studies they mention unless I pay NDSU school of pharmacy $20.00 ea for a copy of about 5 or more studies done in European University and other accredited institutions. However, since only registered pharmacists can have access to the constantly updated website (an extra $60.00 p mo.)so a pharmacist can make you a print-out copy of some of the studies and most likely would charge only a minimal fee. (Most of the time a pharmacist is one of your best friends)Depending on your problem, show the printouts to your Doctor and see if he/she agrees before you do anything. Always a good idea to lay groundwork and then ask and discuss, nly a moron doctor would not appreciate it (there may be a few of those). I have always been lucky and have found doctors I could discuss such things with.
    Good luck, let us know what happens.
    Take care and stay on your diet to start with.
    Grelo
    False
    They are running blood work to figure out if that is the problem. Depending what that shows I may have to go in for an ultrasound. Though she told me to follow a gallbladder diet, because it may calm things down.
    False
    Sorry I was not any help with meal ideas, I just picked and put a few thigs together and ate whether I liked it or not because it would be hard to put "meals" together, you will just have to make up your own more or less.
    Well aware of the limitations but as long as it does not hurt you can stomach the blah foods and get used not to eat the strict no-nos. When you get hungry enough even the yuck stuff starts to taste good.Even if it is not easy you can do it.
    Good luck,
    Grelo
    False
    No beans (except green beans) like baked or cooked dry beans. No fresh bread, no butter, no whole milk, no fried foods, no fatty meats, no cabbage,broccolinor other gassy foods or anything in the cabbage family, raw or cooked. No raw veggies, no real spicey foods, only toasted, 3-4 day old bread. No raw fruits. Preferably no soda pop, alcohol or coffee. No chocolate/candy bars. Little meat (poached or baked, like chicken brrast, lean turkey cuts, best even blended like baby food.No corn (because of undigestible hulls).
    What is good is peppermint leaf tea, drink it any time but do not make it very strong if you use a lotof it.
    I ate a lot of carrot soup, home made with a little defatted chicken stock (also home made), cook the carrots in it and blend to a creamy, halfway consistency, use a few herbs like parsley to season, you may thicken with tapioca, cream of wheat, cornstarch or whatever. Other "cream" soups likethat made with green beans mixed with a few other allowed veggies.
    You can eat cooked red or green bell pappers but PEEL OFF the skin after cooking, very hard to digest otherwise.
    Carrots help digest fat so should be a mainstay of your diet in case you do get a bit of fat. You can make pudding (fat free milk, little sugar or ask what sugar substitute you can use) These are just some examples, you can come up with some of your own, it really is not that hard. Non fatty, poached fish is good. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are fine, ask about fat free sour cream for a baked potato. Just use your imagination and you will do just fine........
    Maybe we should get together nad both have ours taken out and get it over with.........
    Take care,
    Grelo
    False
    Breakfast -chicken soup, jello, tea

Lunch - chicken soup, canned peaches, apple juice

Dinner - chicken soup, jello, water

Snack - jello

LOL! Seriously....I have no idea.....this will just serve to bump this for you.

Chef
    False
    Photobucket