How Many Apples Make Six Cups? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How Many Apples Make Six Cups?

Last post Aug 19, 2012 7:20 AM by lilmouthy . 23 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • How Many Apples Make Six Cups?
    For crying out loud...I wanna know how many apples...not how many cups! Would six apples be enough? Not enough?

I know...it's a petty grievance, but that's the only kind I have energy for right now.
    False
  • RE: How Many Apples Make Six Cups?
    Depends on how big the apples are. Duh! LOL
    False
    If you mean a measuring cup size and not like a coffee cup or mug, I'm imagining peeling and cutting up an apple (and it would depend on how big/small the pieces are) and seems like 1 apple would fill a regular meauring cup cup.

If it was chopped up or cut up fine it might be 3/4 cup if it was grated or food processed it might be 1/2

When you make it (whatever it is) peel and cut up one apple and see how much of a cup it is.

It's probably not precise, I'd guess 6 apples (regular size)

I know that doesn seem odd to say how many cups of apples. That's more how grated apples or applesauce would be measured.
    False
    how big are the apples? some are tiny.
    are you making a pie? how big is the pie plate? 8, 9, 10 inch?
    i use about 6-8 average size apples.
    False
    Well, you asked! LOL
    False
    It also depends on what size they are cut into or if they're grated, or cooked.

Seems like peeling and cutting up an apple into a cup would give an idea.

I think 6 apples would be a rough guess.
    False
    It may seem like peeling and cutting would be the way to find out, but we don't eat apples to eat them, and I am making an apple pie for Thanksgiving (the rest of the family eats apples), so I only want to buy as many as I need, so I don't have any going bad...make sense?

Maybe the "open a can of Wilderness Pie Filling" is the way to go.
    False
    I would say 6 medium-sized apples.
    If you don't need them all, have the boys string them up, cover with a little bit of peanut butter and some birdseed, then put out to feed the birds.
    False
    Thanks Tree...

Out of curiosity...and because I'm suddenly feeling the weight of my Empress crown...how does the size of a pie plate influence how many apples make up six cups?
    False
    dice them into a cup and find out.
    False
    the size of the pie plate influences how many apples is in 6 cups?

HUH?

The size of the pie plate will influence how many apples you need (or the height of your pie) but 6 cups is 6 cups no matter what you put it in LOL
    False
    nooooo! make homemade! :)
    this is a really easy recipe, and delish! no rolling pie crusts.
    it's from "A Taste of the Country" 5th edition, 1992.

Perfect Apple Pie

2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 1/4 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons milk
    6-7 tart baking apples
    3/4 to 1 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons flour
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    dash ground nutmeg
    dash salt
    2 tablespoons butter

in a small bowl, sift together flour, sugar and salt. in a measuring cup, whip oil and milk; pour over flour mixture. mix with fork. reserve 1/3 cup. press remaining crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of pie plate. set aside. pare, core and slice apples. combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; toss with apples. fill pie crust with apple mixture. dot with butter. sprinkle reserved crumbs on top. bake @ 400º for 50 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden.

False
    nonnie- bigger pie plate=more apples to fill it.
    my pie plates are 10 inches. i like nice size pieces of pie.
    False
    Just buy a bag of apples, they come like 3 lbs I think here. Seems like they used to be 5 lbs years ago.

It doesn't matter if you put in too many they tend to shrink when they cook. You could peel and cut up and stuff them all in the pie. If it's piled up with the top crust over it, it will go down some by the time it's cooked.

I'm one of those if 6 cups is good than 8 cups is better (LOL)

I don't think it has to be exact, they just say that to give an idea. They can't really say how many apples because they're different sizes. I've seen recipes that say something like "6 medium size apples" and you can go by that.

It won't hurt to put in too much, but if you don't have enough the pie won't be full after it's cooked.
    False
    I suggest you do this:
    Cut up an apple and place the pieces in a measuring cup. Continue to do this until you have 6 cups. :)
    False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.