_____ in a Jar. . . Gifts for Christmas | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

_____ in a Jar. . . Gifts for Christmas

Last post Nov 21, 2006 8:39 AM by JenniHusker . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • _____ in a Jar. . . Gifts for Christmas
    Last year my boys and I made home made hot chocolate mix in a jar (hazelnut, peppermint, and mocha flavors) for gifts. Do you know of any other gifts in a jar we could make this year?
    False
  • RE: _____ in a Jar. . . Gifts for Christmas
    I have done the hot chocolate, brownies and cookies in a jar. Maybe I will try some soup mixes this yesr.
    False
    There's an old thread around here somewhere that shows some NavyChic made that were lovely! Maybe do a search?
    False
    Cookies in a jar. . . that sounds great! Does anyone have any tried and true recipies for these?
    False
    These recipes are courtesy a couple of other members:

Spiced Cocoa Mix

2 cups powdered milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    1/2 cup non-dairy creamer powder
    1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
    1/4 tsp cardemom, ground
    1/4 tsp cloves, ground
    Mix all ingredients, and store in an air-tight container. One quarter cup of this mixture in 3/4 cup water to make cocoa

April's Awesome Chai Tea

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ginger
    1/8 teaspoon clove
    2 tea bags of black tea
    2 cups water
    2 cups milk
    1/2 cup honey
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    lots of Reddi Whip to top it off

Combine spices, tea bags and water in a sauce pan (or you can use a French press). Bring to a boil, and stir well to combine. Turn off heat, and allow to steep for 5-10 minutes. Remove tea bags, add milk, and heat through. Add honey and vanilla, stir well to combine. Ladle into tall mugs and top with lots of Reddi Whip. Mmmmmmmm!!!!!

I just came up with this last night and made it for my husband...and he just about fell over when he tasted it. He had me make it for him again this morning for him to take to work.

Also, if this sounds like too much work, it IS possible to make a not-as-good-but-suitable instant version. Simply combine spices with 4 teaspoons Nestea instant tea granules, and 1/2 cup powdered milk and 1/2 cup white or brown sugar. Omit vanilla. Then, you can either combine the whole mix with 4 cups boiling water, or divide it into fourths for single mug servings with boiling water. The taste is not quite the same, but if you're looking for instant/easy then it works. Enjoy
    False
    Raspberry Hot Cocoa Mix

Chocolate and raspberry are a heavenly combination.

If you're really pressed for time, just buy hot cocoa mix in bulk and mix in one packet of raspberry unsweetened Kool-Aid for every 3 cups of cocoa mix.

2 cups powdered sugar
    1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 cup non-dairy creamer powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 packets unsweetened raspberry Kool-Aid
    5 1/2 cups instant dry milk powder

Sift together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, non-dairy creamer, salt and Kool-Aid into a large bowl. Stir in the milk powder. Store tightly sealed.

Yield: about 9 cups.

To serve, put 3 Tablespoons into a cup and add hot water. Stir.

CAFE CAPPUCINO

Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until finely ground. Store in an airtight container.

1/2 cup instant coffee granules
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup powdered nondairy creamer
    1/2 tsp dry grated orange rind

Attach to the jar:
    Cafe' Cappuccino: Mix 2 Tablespoons into 1 cup of boiling water.

False
    WONDERFUL!

It's better then any other hand cream I used.
    Thank you!

Hand and Body Cream

I'd like to share this recipe... I found this in a newsletter for hand and body cream.

All ingredients are Dollar Store General Brand. It cost $3.00 to make a batch.

1 Bottle of Baby Lotion (16 ounces)
    1 Jar of Delon Vitamin E Cream (16 ounces)
    1 Jar of Vaseline (16 ounces)

Mix all together and put in jars or in those plastic food storage containers.

This lotion works wonders for dry, flakey winter skin.You can use it in the winter and summer.

False

This lotion works wonders for dry, flakey winter skin.You can use it in the winter and summer.

I have made this lotion for several years, I got the recipe from a friend of mine, now deceased...so I call it Hazel's lotion. The recipe I got also had 2 oz of glycerin in it, which is also softening, and I add a bit of aloe vera.

Paulette, The jars sounds so pretty.
    I bought some little plastic containers at a dollar store and put some of the cream in them. I gave 3 of my neighbors the hand cream and they all thought it was great.

About mixing the cream with a beater, I did it the way Marcia said how she does hers.

"I am on my third batch of this cream and it makes a "ton"!!! Everyone loves it and it is great! My DIL sold it for $5.00 a bottle and could not keep it in her salon!!!!
    I like it more creamy rather than "fluffy" so don't whip it too long - but I do use a mixer to mix it.
    Enjoy it!!!"
    ~~ Marcia ~~
    R7828336

ms_gehrke, I mixed mine with a hand held beater and a glass bowl. I then wiped the beaters and bowl with a paper towel before I washed them.
    False
    HOME MADE POPPY COCK
    Posted by: MissEllie Posted on: 12/3/2002 11:02:53 AM
    #R860035
    This is the closest I have ever been able to come to the real Poppycock:

Caramel Crunch Popcorn

1 1/3 c. sugar
    1 c. butter
    1/2 c. light corn syrup
    1 tsp. vanilla
    8 c. popped corn
    1 c. pecan halves (toasted)
    1 c. whole almonds (toasted)

In a lightly buttered bowl, combine popcorn and nuts and set aside.

In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan combine sugar, butter and syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.

Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture turns a caramel color and reaches 290 degrees.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour syrup over popped corn and nuts.
    Stir quickly to coat and pour into a buttered shallow baking pan.

Separate into pieces with two forks because it will be VERY hot. Cool and store in a tightly covered container.

This is very buttery and has a great toffee flavor and makes a great gift.

False
    i have a whole bunch of recipes for in the jar if you want them. email me at tac7688@msn.com.
    False
    Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you. Click for Ankeny, Iowa Forecast[IMG] Photobucket
    Christian Glitter by www.christianglitter.com

I've been collecting nice Christmas mugs. One day when my house is fixed up and presentable, I want to have a Christmas open house.

In the mugs, I want to put in two packets of hot cider mix w/2 cinnamon sticks, or two packets of hot chocolate mix w/2 candy canes.

Then as people leave, I'll have them on a tray and they can pick and choose what they want.

I've found some really nice mugs at garage sales and thrift stores.

False
    Foot Soak in a Jar

Have a Hot Bath and some Herbal Tea.

Dreft"and "Ivory Snow" are the two most common brands of baby detergent here although the brand "All" now makes a liquid baby soap. When I just couldnt find the Dreft I have used the Ivory and it worked good, but it changed the scent that i was used to. So, as long as its a baby kind and the dry type, it should work ok.
    Karla

RE: Karla it worked. It really worked!

Love the idea that it is a "secret trade only" recipe. I wont tell, promise, scouts honor. I like the idea also that you bottle it up and give it for gifts.

Now to find great looking bottles and jars. Cant wait to try this out. Sleep all night long...havent done that in ages.
    Denise

RE: Karla it worked. It really worked!

Did any of you gals who have trouble sleeping see this? I think someone suggested a few drops of lavender in it, too.

ok heres my recipe, and its a secret one that im only giving out to you, so SSHHHHH

Equal Amounts Of:

Epsom salts
    Dreft Dry Laundry Detergent
    Vasaline Bath Beads ( bubble bath)
    (the blue or green is best)

This is the recipe for pedicure salts the Director of Cosmotology at the school i attended used to make by the 5 gallon bucket for school use.

I used them for all my pedicures and packaged it up and sold umteen pounds of it. My clients have all asked me to tell how i make it, but ive always said it was a trade secret! LOL I make it up at

Christmas time and give as gifts.
    It is very soft and it doesnt leave a scum, in fact it almost seems to clean the tub and the salts are great for your skin.

False
    I noticed last night at the local Winn/Dixie store they had a book "Gifts in a Jar". Little cook-book type book in the check out lane. You may want to find one of these and look for recipes in there. I did not see the price, tho. Couldn't be much, maybe around $3.
    D.
    False
    Here is an interesting and informative site.

http://www.geocities.com/giftsinajar/
    False
    I have a Christmas Gifts cookbook. If you're looking for something in particular I'll post the recipe.
    False