jar craft with white Christmas lights | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

jar craft with white Christmas lights

Last post Nov 29, 2006 6:05 PM by spa4me_WI . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • jar craft with white Christmas lights
    Can anyone post a link to the directions for making these?
    False
  • RE: jar craft with white Christmas lights
    Christmas Lights Potpourri Jar: Get a 1/2 gal. canning jar, a cotton doily, a 50-light string of miniature Christmas lights, bag of potpourri, and ribbon. Put the string of lights down in the jar, leaving the cord sticking out the top. Then you pour in the potpourri around the lights. Place the doily on top and tie with the ribbon. Plug in and enjoy! Note: light strings with fewer lights get more electricity per light than strings with more lights. If you don't want to worry about fire hazards, use strings with more lights since they don't heat up as much. If you can easily hold a lit bulb, you're probably okay. Test carefully before trusting this decor idea in your home
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    I make mine the same way except that I use a wide mouth quart Mason jar and a string of 20 lights. I get the ones with brown wire and it doesn't show up too much in the potpourri. I haven't had a problem with overheating but I never leave them lit when I'm not home. Cubbybear is right about the possible fire danger.The light strings do burn out after a while and I have to replace them.
    False
    I can't get back on the site I got this pattern on in 8/06...it's Snowman-A-Glo...uses qt jar ..basically you paint the lid Blk. & sponge paint the jar white.
    allow paint to dry 48 hrs. then bake 165 degrees for 10 minutes/allow to cool in oven. Paint face features on jar & cut a black felt circle/hole in center to fit over lid. Lites inside/run cord outside..make small hole in lid if necessary.
    Now you have 2 ideas!!!!! both are fun to make & look sooo pretty!
    False
    Kathie A penny saved is a government oversight!
    I also make those pricey lamp oil candles that they sell at Harry and David's for big $$$$.
    You will need a wide mouth Mason jar, lid, and ring. Punch a hole in the jar lid. ( If you are making lots of these, find someone with a drill press and have them punch the holes for you.) Fit in a glass wick holder and wick ( craft shops). Fill the jar with what ever potpourri you like. Something with large pinecones, dried seed pods, etc. looks especially nice. I cheat and go look in their store. Then add Ultrapure lamp oil to the neck. Screw on an unpunched (is that a word?) canning lid and then attach the wick lid for gift giving.
    These can be refilled with more oil as needed.
    False
    bump for the ladies
    False
    Here's a link:
    http://www.geocities.com/kraftproject/Instructional/snowmanaglo.html
    False
    Sucor: That is the web site that I have...tried again just now & it still comes up ..... Cannot be found or does not exsist....
    I also had that site for other things
    but no luck.........hummmmmmmm
    thanks for putting it on so I could try again!
    False
    Kathie A penny saved is a government oversight!
    what a neat idea :)
    False
    I just these at our local Menards store

They took a glass block and drilled a hole into one of the sides*the four that go around* not the two flat sides.

They used a sort of opaque textured block.

After the hole was drilled they filled it with potpouri, or garland, or cutsey stuff, then put in a strand of lights.

My guess is that they used a screwdriver or thin wooden spoon handle to manuever things around..or maybe just shook it..lol

Then they took wide Holiday Ribbon and wrapped the sides of the block and tied a bow atop.
    Plugged in they were very very cute!
    False