Is it safe to put mineral oil on your eyelids? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is it safe to put mineral oil on your eyelids?

Last post Feb 01, 2008 10:43 AM by mountainmama_WV . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Is it safe to put mineral oil on your eyelids?
    My eyes have been so dry since my surgery. Itches to death. I don't want to put lotion on them. I have some mineral oil. I have baby oil too, but, don't want any thing smelly.

False

catmint

• RE: Is it safe to put mineral oil on your eyelids?
    Can you call your dr's ofc and check with his/her nurse? Or the nurses' desk at the location where you had surgery? Maybe vaseline would be ok-- I don't know, but at least it wouldn't drip into your eyes the way oil may. I would check first, though. Hope you heal well and quickly.
    False
    cat...I would put it on a cotton ball and rub it on...that way it won't drip....my skin has been horribly dry since my surgery too....
    False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-
    Cat...I use baby oil to take off eye makeup with no problem. Like AK suggested, use a cotton ball with the oil on it.
    :)
    False
    Mineral oil might feel good on skin but it isn't good for it. It seals the skin and then the skin can't pick up any moisture from the air and it can't breathe because the pores are blocked. I would use something else.
    False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

I'd check with the doctor, but in the meantime be VERY CAREFULE and use some hydrocortisone maybe. I know that my husband gets dry itchy ears and around his nose in the winter and the doctor recommened the hydrocortisone to help with the itchiness and to relive the dry skin.
    False
    I don't know, Lisa. I would think the corisone would be too close to the eyes?

I do have baby oil. I could use that, maybe, instead. I know it just says on the mineral oil bottle, good for dry skin.

False

catmint

There are special moisturizing creams made specifically to be used in the sensitive eye areas. I would look into something like that rather than using something greasy like baby oil.
    False
  • Re: Is it safe to put mineral oil on your eyelids?

I know this post is a couple months old already, but I was searching the internet for a type of oil that I could use on my cutting board.  In the process, I happen to stumble on your post so I thought I would share with all of you what I found.  It's interesting that some recommended not to use mineral oil on your face, but did recommend baby oil.  What is baby oil?

I just found this to be interesting.  Read on:

Perhaps the single most common use for white mineral oil is to remove makeup at the end of the day. Mineral oil has the ability to cut through the minute amounts of grease and dirt that tend to cling to makeup over the course of the day, making it possible to strip off the layer of makeup easy and prepare the face for cleansing. Along with removing makeup from the face, mineral oil is often used as a beauty treatment, as it is an excellent amplifier that helps the body to absorb ultraviolet rays without drying out the skin. While not everyone is aware, baby oil is simply mineral oil that has been enhanced with a small amount of fragrance.

Mineral oil is also good for use in the kitchen as well. Butcher-block surfaces can be conditioned with the substance from time to time. Treatments of mineral oil help the wood to stay supple, and also help to soften the appearance of nicks and cuts that are made during regular use of the block. Soapstone countertops can also benefit from an application of mineral oil from time to time. The properties of the oil help to keep the surface looking new, even if the countertop has been in place for ten years or more.

False

this is the website I found the information on:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-mineral-oil.htm

False

Catmint - What did I miss....what surgery did you have on your eyes? I must have been loaded down with homework and final exams back when you first posted this. Hope all is well now.

I have never heard of using mineral oil for removing make-up or on the skin at all for any reason for that matter.

I used to put it in DD's bottles to help move things along when she was a baby. I also have used it for cutting board and buffing cabinets.

Baby oil seems a little thinner than mineral oil, and I don't like the smell. It burns my skin, too.

False

Rebecca

Very interesting, Sudzie.

Rebecca, this was from a post that i had after my hysterectomy in 2006.

False

catmint

Oh, shoot catmint. I was thinking it was just a couple months a gp. LOl

I didn't pay that much attention to the date.

False

Rebecca

I don't pay attention either. And, I was confused when I read it, completely forgot about my eyes having problems back then. LOL

False

catmint

Catmint...count me in on the ones confused for a second....LOL

I was reading, and thought...'Now I didn't know Catmint had eye surgery'...then it dawned on me what kind of surgery you were talking about....then I noticed the date!

Barbara 

False