What does the saying, "Butter wouldn't melt in her mouth" mean?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What does the saying, "Butter wouldn't melt in her mouth" mean??

Last post Dec 08, 2006 5:21 PM by ReneeC___NCalif . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • What does the saying, "Butter wouldn't melt in her mouth" mean??
    Does it mean they are very sweet & innocent?

Then why wouldn't butter melt in their mouth???

:)
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

• RE: What does the saying,
    Hi Renee!

FWIW, I always thought it meant that a person was so cool and calm that even *butter* wouldn't melt in her/his mouth...

Krissy :)
    False
    I'm with Pags. I always thought it indicated a shrewish, Alexis Carrington person.

False
    Hard,cold,mean mouthed person.
    False
    OK...well then at least that makes sense. LOL

I was talking about someone that was putting on a sweet act and the phrase came to my mind. As I typed it, I knew it didn't make any sense.

Although the idea that they're cold would describe the person I was thinking of too.

Thanks!!!
    False

Now that I think about it, though, I suppose it could mean that a girl won't put out. I am flashing on that Marcia Brady description in the movie. "She's harder to get into than a Pearl Jam concert."
    False
    [Q] From An AOL subscriber: “This is probably desperately simple but perhaps you could please tell me from where the phrase ‘butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth’ originates?”

[A] It’s one of those sayings that are so old their origins are lost in the proverbial mists of time. It refers dismissively to somebody who appears gentle or innocent while typically being the opposite. A typical use was in William Makepeace Thackeray’s Pendennis: “When a visitor comes in, she smiles and languishes, you’d think that butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth: and the minute he is gone, very likely, she flares up like a little demon, and says things fit to send you wild”.

It appeared in print first in John Palsgrove’s book about the French language, Lesclarcissement de la Langue Françoyse of 1530, but it’s more than likely he was borrowing a saying that was already proverbial.

Since putting butter in one’s mouth, even in these technological times straight from the fridge, is certain to cause it to melt, the saying is not altogether easy to understand. It might be tied up with the idea of coolness, of a nonchalant ease that is unaffected by passion or emotion (a sense of cool that goes back at least a century before the first recorded appearance of the butter saying). If you are that coolly insouciant, the idea seems to be, butter really won’t melt in your mouth.

from http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-but3.htm
    False
    Well thanks BoC...then it most definately would apply to this person.

Very interesting!
    False

And SoF...leave Marcia out of this!

;)
    False

So, it's a cucumberhead.

Cucumber...

See, it all keeps coming back....
    False
    If you salt your cucumbers, they're less likely to "keep coming back".
    False
    You guys are full of useful info, ya know that??
    False

I have heard that if you remove the skins, they're not as nutritious.
    False
    I think that too, it means cool and calm BUT maybe they pretend otherwise? Like oh so sweet and nice and perfect, but not REALLY?

When I read this I thought of another old saying "goody two shoes".

like someone who has money and is better off (or thinks they are)? Like having TWO shoes is a sign of being rich, having what they need?

False