soaking corned beef | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

soaking corned beef

Last post Mar 18, 2011 5:08 PM by akfishergirl . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • soaking corned beef
    Do you soak your corned beef before cooking? anyone use a pressure cooker?
    False
  • RE: soaking corned beef
    No, I just simmer it about 3 hours and its nice and tender.
    False
    George Washington Carver "The secret of my success? It is simple. It is found in the BIBLE, "In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths"
    There was another post last night about corned beef.
    False
    Hi Not sure there would be any reason at all to soak it!

Do you have a cookbook handy?
    That should tell you how long to simmer it, truthfully I don't think you could over cook it. I would say 40 min to the pound!

Molly
    False
  • Re: soaking corned beef
    I do both. Soaking draws out the salt, which then allows you to re-salt the meat, and control the amount and flavor. I usually soak it for an hour. Then you can choose whether or not you want to salt the outside. Cover the meat with water. I always add an onion, pepper and 3 bay leaves to the water. Then pressure it for 45min-1 hour, depending on the size. Add the cabbage, potatoes and carrots after you've already pressured the meat. Bring back to pressure and cook gor about 5-10 minutes.
    False

There is no need to soak. It use to be recommended years ago because of all the salt. Today the meat is cured differently and with much less salt.

False

Surely soaking it would soak out all the nice flavour?  I don't see the point of soaking out the flavour and then adding more salt to give it flavour.

False

I'm going to have to take the other side here.  The one time I cooked corned beef in the pressure cooker (about 8 years ago, I think) it did come out too salty for my taste.  I doubt the way beef is corned has changed greatly since then.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

I don't soak it.....sometimes use a pressure cooker - 45 minutes is usually the time I cook it.  Baked it for 3 hours this year....covered in onion slices, wrapped in heavy duty foil, 350 for 3 hours.  Got the recipe on this BB last year.

False

I usually do mine in the crockpot, comes out nice & tender!  I've never soaked it.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I always rinse mine really well.... and then stovetop simmer.... I had one yesterday tho that I wish I had soaked some of the salt out of.... I cooked 3 small pieces (wanted leftovers for sandwiches) and one piece was horribly salty......

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-