Better Bisquick Biscuits | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Better Bisquick Biscuits

Last post Jan 04, 2007 2:26 PM by oeg1kallee . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Better Bisquick Biscuits
    I hate when baked goods have a residual baking soda flavor. Hate it so much that, this holiday season, I did not make any cookies which required baking soda. So when I realized that it was the same flavor which made me hate Bisquick, I decided to try to remedy that. (DH had bought a big box of Bisquick, so I wanted to see if I could make some use of it.)

The solution was quite simple. Baking soda is a base, and lingering flavor from it means the recipe didn't have enough acid to react with all of it. Buttermilk would have solved that, but I didn't have any, so when I added the milk to the mix, I also squeezed in a lemon wedge. Then, fearing that I'd made it sour, I put in 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.

They came out very tasty, and both taller and browner than usual. Overall, I'd say the sugar was not needed, although DH like it--more like the sweet cream biscuits I make from scratch. There was no nasty baking soda flavor.
    False
  • RE: Better Bisquick Biscuits
    I shall remember this great tip!

Molly
    False
    thanks for the tip....I use bisquick for biscuits too.....
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

When I don't have buttermilk I use 1 Cup of milk with 1 tsp of vinegar mixed in it and set aside for a few minutes. I bet the vinegar would be the acid you might need also.
    False
    License
    I don't think I know what baking soda tastes like. Is it kind of metallic? That's what I don't like about things made with Bisquick.
    False

Thanks for that bit of info. I'll try that the next time I make my "Homemade" Biscuits. LOL
    False
    Vinegar was my first thought, but I had half of a lemon, and I figured that if I added a bit too much, lemon would be a better trace flavor than vinegar.
    False
    Use of buttermilk is key when using baking soda as the leavening agent (but use of vinegar or lemon would also accomplish the same).

Good suggestion of subsitution, BOC!
    False
    In doing some research for my cookbook, I went on a baking soda tangent and discovered some interesting factoids:

The bitter alkaline taste comes from the active ingredient, sodium bicarbonate, and if you add too much it can give off a soapy taste. Plain milk won't balance or neutralize an alkaline, so the bitter taste still comes through.

To counter this, you need an acid ingredient like chocolate, honey, molasses, citrus juice, sour cream, yogurt, buttermilk, brown sugar or cocoa powder. Switching from plain milk to buttermilk or sour milk, or adding vinegar or lemon juice to force sour milk, will take care of the alkaline taste.

Used with double-acting baking powder, acids will also give you a bigger rise. The chemical reaction begins immediately when the acid ingredient produces hit the sodium bicarbonate an initial set of carbon dioxide gas bubbles. Then a second reaction to heat expands the bubbles and contributes to the lift. Watch closely, the increased acidy can also result in over-browning.

False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

I've always added a pinch of sugar and quirt of lemon to pancake mix, so I bet it helped the biscuits, too.
    False

Rebecca

Thanks for the science, LP. I did notice that the biscuits browned more. Perhaps next time I'll reduce the baking temperature in the last few minutes, to reduce that effect.
    False
    good tip!

To "make" buttermilk when all you have is regular milk, add a little lemon juice or vinegar.
    I did this with lemon juice a few days ago when I made the Apple Cheddar Scones.
    False
    King Arthur recommends subbing 1/4 cup of Orange juice for the same amount of any liquid in baked good, esp. breads and biscuits to get rid of that taste. It won't taste like orange at all but will do what BoC says.
    False