How do you cook your spiral ham? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you cook your spiral ham?

Last post Feb 11, 2007 9:50 AM by onebizzybee . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • How do you cook your spiral ham?
    I got such a deal on this ham. It was 2.99 a # and I got it for 99 a #. It is a 10 pd. one. It is spiral cut with a partial bone in it. Should I put it in the crock pot or in the oven. I have cooked a ham before, just not this big nor was it spiral cut. Can you help?
    False
  • RE: How do you cook your spiral ham?
    Is it already cooked? The only spiral cut hams I've had were already cooked. I just heat up how much I want for that meal.
    False
    I have bought a spiral cut ham several times, and have always baked in the oven. If you have a glaze pack, make that up and brush over the ham the last 15-20 minutes of baking. Then let the ham rest 20 minutes prior to serving (so the glaze can set).
    If you do not have baking time instructions, refer to a cook book. All your doing is warming the ham, as it is already cooked.
    Enjoy!!
    False
    I cooked one once, and have had them several times at family gatherings. They tend to dry out very quickly.
    Christopher Kimball, the editor of Cooks Illustrated; America's Test Kitchen, etc; said he hates cooking bags, but said for spiral hams, that the way to cook them is in a cooking bag. I have to stress that he will not use cooking bags, but to keep a spiral ham moist, you should use one.
    False
    That sounds like a good idea Freddie, they do tend to dry out.
    I also wonder if you could put a little water, apple juice, pineapple juice in the pan to create moisture while baking?
    False
    the one time i cooked one it dryed out and was not worth the extra money but for .99 you cant afford not to get it make sure the label says fully cooked all hams are not always fully cooked even tho they are cured sometimes only smoked to a temp that kills certain bacteria but are not fully cooked . just keep it cover good so it isnt dry or you will feel like you wasted your .99 good luck
    False
    I cook a spiral ham the same way I cook any pre-cooked ham. In the oven. The trick is to place the ham in the roasting pan with a tight seal. This can be a pan that has a tight lid or as I do, just place the ham (dry with no other liquid) in the roasting pan and use 2 or 3 large sheets of foil to tightly seal the pan. Have the oven no hotter than 325 degrees and leave it alone for 3 or 4 hours depending on the size. I use the 20 minutes per pound timing. When I take it out of the oven, there is always about 4 cups of liquid in the roasting pan and I can use this (defatted) to make ham gravy or discard and remove the skin and add a glaze. Delicious!
    False

If we had no faults of our own, we would not take so much pleasure in noticing those of others.  ~

As a rule I don't buy them, they dry out too much. But I would cook it cut side facing down and just heat it through, low heat.
    Good luck
    False

http://mammascookin.blogspot.com/

I've never had a spiral cut ham dry out, even when I heated the whole thing in the oven.
    Usually I just slice off what will be served and heat it in the oven or the microwave on low.

Usually the package tells you how to reheat.

False
    my brother in law always pours a can of sprite over it...
    False
    I love the spiral cut hams...for some reason they taste better than regular hams to me. I alway bake them in the oven and use the glaze as directed. If I remember correctly, the instructions say to place the ham in your roasting pan cut side down.
    False
    The only spiral hams I ever buy are Honeybaked hams and you don't cook them, simply let them come to room temperature.
    False
    I wrapy them tightly in heavy duty foil and cook in my Nesco at 275 degrees for about 3 hours. Never dry. I don't like the glaze that comes with them. I just use brown sugar and a litte fruit juice.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned cloves.
    stick some whole cloves into the top, add some liquid of your choosing, cover tightly either with a lid if the pan is large enough or aluminum foil, and warm in a low oven for several hours.
    False
    Yikes Superglide! The only thing I hate worse than cloves is nutmeg. Do you like nutmeg, too? It seems that people who like nutmeg usually like cloves.
    False