Do You Cover Your Meatloaf? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do You Cover Your Meatloaf?

Last post Feb 22, 2007 8:38 AM by CharlesR_female . 22 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 12
  • Do You Cover Your Meatloaf?
    I hate to say it but in all the years I have been away from home (about 25) I have never made meatloaf.

I don't like meatloaf!

But I found a recipe that I thought maybe I might like.
    The recipe doesn't say if I should cover it or not.
    There is no sauce on the top.

What would you do?
    False

• RE: Do You Cover Your Meatloaf?
    I dont cover mine.
    False
    Witty Whitney!
    No, I don't cover it.
    False

"She was not what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."

Mark Twain

False

No, you want it to brown.
    False

Rebecca

I cover mine for half the cooking time and uncover it for the rest... it seems to cook faster that way, but still browns up fine.
    False
    Yuummm I love meat loaf.
    Hope this turns out and you like it. :>)
    False
    Occasionally I make it in the microwave. I use a square glass baking dish and mold the meat around the a small juice glass that I put in the middle of the pan.

While the meatloaf cools the fat is drawn up into the juice glass.
    False
    I like making meatloaf with a box of stove top stuffing,eggs, and milk. Then I put it in my roasting pan, drizzle endless ketchup on top(family likes it this way)and cover with the lid and let it bake at 350 for several hours. Because I make a huge meatloaf when I make meatloaf.
    False
    No covering the meatloaf in our house!

Actually I'm not too wild about it either, but DH likes it so......

False

photo 394c3cfc-b346-432f-9237-818feb5c030c_zpsb115894a.jpg

Our companion and great friend,  Rula. 

We LOVE meatloaf in our house.

Since I work I have to come up with quick ways to fix things.

This one is really good....

1-1/2 lbs. of ground chuck
    1 box of stove-top stuffing
    1 egg
    1 can of cream of mushroom soup

I mix the meat, stuffing, egg and half the can of soup together. Then I add about 1/4 cup of milk to the rest of the soup and save for later. Form the loaf and I cover mine for half the cooking time. Then I pull it out and spoon the rest of the soup mixture over the meatloaf. It comes out very moist and has a great flavor.

When I have more time, I chop up green pepper and onion and put that in the loaf with crushed crackers and egg and some tomato sauce.

Some people like a red sauce and some like a gravy. We like meatloaf any way!
    False
    Never with a lid. I used to put tomato sauce or ketchup on the top and bake it but prefer a crispier top. Have tried laying bacon before baking but the family didn't care for that.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I love meatloaf especially the next day in a sandwich.

I have several recipes that I use and none of them call for the meatloaf to be covered.

Think I will make a meatloaf sometime this week. :)
    False