what can you buy with food stamps? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

what can you buy with food stamps?

Last post Oct 23, 2009 11:58 AM by aaustinbj . 30 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) 123
  • RE: what can you buy with food stamps?
    Beberly it will cover cakes, but not deli items like the premade salads ect.

I doubt that very many people buy steak for their dog with food stamps. If they had enough in food stamps to do that they would be eating steaks themselves.
    False
    the reason you can't buy dog or cat fpood with food stamps is because people feed them to their kids!!! but i doubt if she was feeding them steaks...
    False

the reason you can't buy dog or cat fpood with food stamps is because people feed them to their kids!!! but i doubt if she was feeding them steaks...
    False

For zero income, I get $155 per month and that is a bit over $5 per day, if it is for only one person. I don't know why it is different here, but I can get anything on my card you can eat. That includes the deli. It is actually cheaper to buy one of the rotissery {sp} chickens already to eat than it is to buy the raw chicken and cook it! I have never tried to get other things on my card, just food. If I need other things, I go to the Dollar Store. And just learned that the Dollar Store now takes the food stamp card, so can get some of the food there now also.
    False
    Oober the store is not supposed to be allowing you to buy a hot chicken and can get in trouble for doing so. Not telling you not to as often times they are cheaper than a fresh bird! lol Plus IMO they are often a larger size. Just be careful so that you don't get in trouble. I would hate to see you lose it when you really need it. You can also use the card at those take and bake pizza places. But a frozen one is cheaper.
    False
    "Oober the store is not supposed to be allowing you to buy a hot chicken and can get in trouble for doing so."

Not true. As long as the item has a "scanner" ticket on it, it will go through the computer/cash register. That's why when you buy birthday cakes, it's no problem. There is a pre-printed scanner ticket on it.
    False

If we had no faults of our own, we would not take so much pleasure in noticing those of others.  ~

3.00 per person per day is almost exactly what it is. My sister is on it and that is almost exactly the allotment.
    False
    I am not real sure but I thought most everything but cigarets and alcohol.
    False
    Tuesday just because the store allows it does not mean that the food program does. Check out the site that I listed and those types of food are prohibited. Not all stores follow the rules to the T and they are putting the ability to take food stamps at risk.
    False
    Several years ago my Mama was buying groceries & when sh was ready to check out, she was hoping that she would not be embarrassed by not having enought money to cover her purchases. She was buying groceries for a family of 6. She got behind a woman who had her cart piled high with the finest steaks & even gourmet foods, including a large package of fresh strawberries, cream, & chococlate syrup. She had a large bag of dog food in her cart & the checker infrmed her that she could not buy pet food with food stamps. The woman retorted "Hmmmmph! Well, let hin eat steak, then!" She then went back to the meat department & came back with more T Bones, ribeyes, & porter house steaks! My Mama said that she was so mad that her blood pressure was probably through the roof!
    False
    In the grocery store near us the cold salad items and pre-made salads and sandwiches have stickers on them that say :"EBT acceptable item" -in other words, you can use food stamps to purchase. TC is correct, it is hot foods that cannot be purchased from the deli. Birthday cakes and even deli trays can be purchased with food stamps. On time when managing at a grocer I even had a customer purchase a wedding cake with food stamps and legally there was nothing we could do to refuse her the right to do so. Some people are very thrifty, but others do take advantage. And those that need the help and who are living alone without children get very small $ amounts... the system doesn't seem very fair does it?
    Pet foods, alcohol, cigarettes, cleaning supplies, healthy/beauty, hot food, paper goods... not allowed.
    False
    --Katie "You block your dreams when you allow your fear to grow bigger then your faith""
    If you look at this site, it gives a lot of details how they come up with the dollar amount for food stamps. They even have recipes and menu plans for eating on the "thrifty" plan...which for a single person is about $135 per month.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/USDAFoodPlansCostofFood.htm

False
    According to http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/faqs.htm

10. What foods are eligible for purchase with food stamps?
    Households CAN use food stamp benefits to buy:

Foods for the household to eat, such as:

breads and cereals;

fruits and vegetables;

meats, fish and poultry; and

dairy products.

Seeds and plants which produce food for the household to eat.

Households CANNOT use food stamp benefits to buy:

Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco

Any nonfood items, such as:

pet foods;

soaps, paper products; and

household supplies.

Vitamins and medicines.

Food that will be eaten in the store.

Hot foods

In some areas, restaurants can be authorized to accept food stamp benefits from qualified homeless, elderly, or disabled people in exchange for low-cost meals. Food stamp benefits cannot be exchanged for cash.
    False
    I went into a grocery store yesterday in our very small town that had just caught a shoplifter. She had come in the store, ordered seven pounds of hamburger and while they were wrapping it up she was stealing two bottles of dish detergent. Was going to pay for the hamburger with food stamps and knew she couldn't get the detergent with them so she was shoplifting. She also had on her two Glade sprays from the store up the street. She had tried to pull the same scam on them but left before they got her hamburger wrapped up.
    False
    My ex-husband and his wife are both on Social Security Disability. They have what is called a Bridge card that they use to buy food. I don't think they can buy cigarettes and that stuff but I know that the Schwan man delivers food for the freezer to their house on a regular basis and it is paid for with the Bridge card. Must be nice...aggravates me since I have to shop the bargains!! I wouldn't want to be them but I think they should have to shop for bargains and cook just like I do. Beverly
    False