What's the best and fastest way to dry up poison ivy?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What's the best and fastest way to dry up poison ivy??

Last post Jun 07, 2007 11:04 AM by LuLufrYork . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • What's the best and fastest way to dry up poison ivy??
    My 6 yr old has a small patch on his chin going down his neck. It showed up yesterday and I've been putting Benedryl cream to help dry it up and help itching. Can't say it's doing much for either. He's suppose to be spending the night at his aunt & uncle's house this weekend and I'm wanting to get it cleared up by then. Should he still go if it's not??
    False
  • RE: What's the best and fastest way to dry up poison ivy??
    Stop watering it...

Sorry, I'm feeling silly tonight.

Actually, I don't know, never had it, thank God. Hope you find out quickly!
    False
    I have always used good old fashioned calamine lotion. Stops the itch and dries the rash. Apply it with a cotton ball several times a day. Also, swimming in salt water (if you're near the ocean/gulf) or chlorine water (swimming pool) helps too.
    False
    Just keep dabbing the calamine lotion on it. My BIL, swears rubbing alcohol or bleach on cotton ball dries it up in a single day and uses that instead...but I wouldn't recommend that for you or a child for that matter!

:)
    False
    There was a thread on here a while back with someone saying vicks rubbed on it will dry it up but anyway, check back through the threads. HOpe it helps.
    False
    You might do a Google search, I found this easily.

http://www.ehow.com/tips_17943.html

BTW--good luck with this. I'm highly allergic to the stuff, so your child has my sympathy.
    False
    Subject: Poison Ivy...Vicks
    Posted by: zakons

My brother gets poison ivy every year.....he just said ,if he sees the start of poison ivy,,example on the leg..or foot...he puts VICKS on the spot and the area surrounding it...and sometimes puts a napkin over it plus a sock...within 2 days it is drying up...if it is on his arm, he rubs Vicks in for 5 minutes and puts more Vicks on....After a shower he puts Vicks on it...

He just has to be in the wind of poison ivy and he gets it...

RE: Poison Ivy...Vicks
    Posted by: zakons Posted on: 4/16/2007

My brother uses Dawn dish washing soap...always a bottle in the shower...his big problem ...he is an outdoors person...loves the woods...and wild life....

We always have a bottle of Dawn in the shower....the trick is you have to wash it off right away, immediately, but it can stop allot of outbreaks.

False
    If you have any jewellweed, (touch-me-not) growing at your place, cut some stem, open it up, and put the juice on it.

White shoe polish is good, too.

False

catmint

I used a product called Ivy Dry. It's a spray. Stopped the itching. Check out the label though, can't remember if you can use it on your face.
    False
    Since it just became apparent yesterday that he's been in poison ivy, you might want to have him shower with dawn dish detergent (you can use another kind, but it must say detergent on the label. My dr. told me about this several years ago after I saw him for a bad case of poison ivy. According to him, the oils that cause the skin irritation are not removed by regular soap and if left on the skin you can continue to have breakouts for several days if the oils are not removed.I keep a bottle of dawn in the shower and we use it first when we have been outdoors and have reason to think we may have been exposed.I've used cortizone cream in the past with good results. Though it depends on how bad it is.You may be able to get his pediatrician to call in a prescription cream if it seems bad or seems to be getting worse.
    False
    I buy a jewelweed product about every 2 years for my DH who is very alergic to it.

It's a kit that has a soap, spray and salve.

DH swears by it. He keeps it with him whenever out with the scouts.
    False
    License
    I forgot to paste the site. Sorry

http://store.altnature.com/poivre1.html
    False
    License
    I've tried everything under the sun and may have to resort to the doctor.
    I do so much yard work I can't get rid of it and I am miserable!!!!

It starts to go away and comes back
    The pharmacist told me no benadryl, she doesn't recommend it for PI

something in it

alcohol has been drying it us
    but I go back out and more comes

we keep searching the yard and spraying

hope you nip it in the bud
    cause I'm miserable and would hate to see a little one get in bad shape
    False
     Photobucket
    Your ds has my sympathies! I get it very easily. I think it would be ok for him to still go to his aunt and uncle's. I've never had much luck with calamine lotion or the hydrocortisone creams. I guess everyone is different.
    False

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss
    I forgot to say that if you're afraid that someone else will get it and that's why you're not sure about letting him do, don't worry about it. The fluid in the blisters is not what makes it spread, I thought that for years and years. It's the oil off the plant. And as long as that's been cleaned it shouldn't be a problem.
    False

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss