Why did I get hard Rice Krispie Treats? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why did I get hard Rice Krispie Treats?

Last post Mar 04, 2004 8:50 PM by LeslieAK . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Why did I get hard Rice Krispie Treats?
    I've made Rice Krispie Treats dozens of times and they have always been nice and soft and chewy. Tonight I made them and after I pushed them into the pan and they set a couple of hours, covered, I went to eat one and tore up my mouth trying to bite into it. What would cause this? Could it be becaue I used generic ingredients- mashmallows and cereal? could I have cooked the marshmallows and butter too long? This is the recipe I used-

1/4 c. butter
    10 oz. bag of marshmallows
    6 c. rice krispie cereal

Melt butter and marshmallows, remove from heat and stir in cereal.

I would appreciate any help!
    False
  • RE: Why did I get hard Rice Krispie Treats?
    When I used Generic mine were harder/tougher too. I think the rice krispie brand is more airy. I love the Jet Puffed marshmallows too.

I also notice if I push the mixture down to much it compacts too much and seems hard.

Still good though. :)
    False
    I never use the whole 6 cups of cereal. I use 5 or or 5 1/2 cups. I pour in 1 cup at a time and stop before it gets too stiff.
    False
    I've had that problem using store brands, also when my marshmallows weren't exactly fresh and new. What a bummer!
    False
    I use that marshmallow cream instead of the regular marshmallows, I think. It's been a long time since I made them!
    False
    I don't follow any recipe either. I make them by eyeballing the ingredients, lol.
    Also...if the marshmallows aren't freshly opened sometimes they can be stale and not turn out so well.
    I always come out with really chewy lotsa marshmallowy treats that do not last long at all around here, lol :)
    Making them in the microwave is so much easier and faster too!!

Good luck with your next batch :)

lots of love,
    Penny
    False
    I dont make marshmallow treats anymore for the same reason, I cant think of one time that mine ever came out nice and soft chewy like.
    False
    It's happened to me several times because of old marshmallows, and I'm too cheap to get rid of them and buy fresh ones.
    False
    I'm thinking the same; generic ingredients.
    But could you nuke them to soften them? An idea! :)
    False
    If you cook anything with sugar in it too long, it will also harden on you. Maybe you cooked the marshmallow/margarine mixture too long?

Just a thought --
    False

Photobucket