Zorries, thongs,and flip flops | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Zorries, thongs,and flip flops

Last post Aug 08, 2007 9:28 PM by atvgranny_WI . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • RE: Zorries, thongs,and flip flops
    We usually called them flipflops when I was growing up.

A couple of years ago a co-worker went around to various stores asking if they had those 'light-up thongs'. Boy, she said she got some weird looks. She figured out she should have been asking for flipflops.
    False
    Well, that is old age for you. You can't hear sounds that everyone else can hear and you can hear sounds that no one else can hear. Not really a bit problem until you begin to hear voices that no one else hears.
    Zoris are what the Japanese have always called the thong-style shoes they wear. When we (the US) started making them out of rubber after WW11, we used that name because the style was the same.
    False

That should NOT read as WW Eleven. LOL
    False

Thongs are the flip flops that have the thing between your toes. Plain flip flopd don't. lol
    False
    When we were kids we called them thongs, but also heard them referred to as flip-flops.

I just want to know who decided that flip flops were dress shoes? It kills me to see girls in graduation gowns or at their band concerts or honors nights in nice dresses and $2 rubber flip flops! If money's an issue you can still go to PayLess and get a decent pair of dress shoes for a few bucks!
    False
    When I was a kid they were thongs and now they are flip flops. I also remember Mom wearing petal pushers. I like shorts better, but today I like capri pants better. LOL
    False

They were thongs in the 60,s Not as prevelent but I wore them. They were leather and rather delicate looking. My MIL hated them. ALso wore skinny capri pants. midcalf. And ballet slippers. What goes around eventally seems to go around again.
    False
    I've heard all three, call them flip flops..thongs go between something else these days!
    False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast
    LOL at deranger's story about the 'light-up thongs'!!
    False
    I remember when they first came out in the 50's and we called them
    go-aheads. My DH calls them shower shoes. Now I call them thongs.
    False
    ptcruisermomm

I thought it was great when my GD got her prom dress at Penny's for $30 and a pair of gold flip-flops for $5 at payless. She looked as good as those who spent hundreds.
    False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I went thru all three of those eras-zorries, thongs and now, flip-flops. My DGD says I may not call them thongs, anymore.

Plus, I still wear open-toe, open-heel "wedgies". Now, DGD does not want me to say wedgie, either.

I just laugh, a lot.

Nancy Z.

False