Is Parchment paper the same as waxed paper?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is Parchment paper the same as waxed paper??

Last post Mar 08, 2004 8:13 PM by Mama_of_4_beauties . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Is Parchment paper the same as waxed paper??
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, LOL!

I'm going to make Lemon Meringue Pavlova and need to smear the meringue mixture on parchment and bake (like a jellyroll kind of thing b/c i will need to roll it up) but the only thing i have is waxed. Is it the same thing??

Something tell me that parchment paper is the same thing but without the wax.

Could i use the waxed in place of it if it isn't the same thing??

Thanks for your help :))

lots of love,
    Penny
    False
  • RE: Is Parchment paper the same as waxed paper??
    It is not the same thing as waxed paper. I would be leary using the waxed in place of it because you are baking with it. The wax will most likely get melty and end up as a film on your cake. Maybe someone else can help you here as far as that goes......

Chef
    False
    Photobucket
    They are not the same. Parchment paper is able to withstand high temperatures usually better than waxed paper.
    False
    Parchment, wax, and freezer paper are all similar but different.

For Pavlova, you definitely want parchment.
    False

Rebecca

both Chef and Mairead are right...i also would not use it..
    False
    If your in a bind, the wax paper would probably work since Pavlova are usually baked at a low temp.
    False

Rebecca

I use waxed paper strips when baking cakes all the time. The wax does not melt at all. I have not used it on a baked meringue, however. You can try it and see, most likely it will be alright.
    False
    Thanks so much :)) I thought so :(

Oh darn!! I wonder if it would work with foil instead??
    I've tried making meringues before on foil and they stuck so bad and wouldn't come off.
    I guess i'll wait until i buy some parchment paper.

I appreciate your help so much :)

Saved me throwing out the whole mess had i went ahead and made it anyway even though i was a bit leary of it.

I can always count on all of you for answers to my questions :))

lots of love,
    Penny
    False
    Holy....there was only 2 responses when i started typing and after i hit send there was a few more, lol.

I guess i could try it then if some of you have tried it and had good luck.
    If it does contain wax i'll just throw it out :)
    I mean i have tons of eggs anyway, LOL!

It'll be an experiment ;)) LOL

Thanks again so much!!

lots of love,
    Penny
    False
    Penny...I wanted to say one more thing about parchment. I use it for all kinds of things....cakes, cookies, etc. I also reuse it. I just wipe it clean and roll it up and store it. Take it out the next time....unroll it and reuse. Voila! After a couple of times you will need to throw it out....you'll be able to tell when to do that.

Chef
    False
    Photobucket
    Awesome!! :)

Thanks Chef!! :))

Now, do you get that in the same section as foil, saran, waxed?? Or is it in another section?

My sheets/pans are all darkened over time and i hate using them b/c i can't get them as clean as i want....so this would be great!!
    I can stretch them to last even longer, lol :))

lots of love,
    Penny
    False
    It is in with the foils and wraps usually. IF you cannot find it there then try with the cake decorating supplies. One store I often went to did not sell it so I bought a couple of sheets from there bakery department.
    False
    Oh, be careful! Waxed paper can be used, but (trust me on this!) any that is exposed will start smoking! It's okay for, say, lining a cake pan or a loaf pan. But I stunk up my kitchen baking (I forget what) on top of a sheet of waxed paper. Call your neighbors and see if you can borrow parchment from them :)
    False
    For 30 years I baked with wax paper... it worked fine. I would occasionally read a recipe that referred to parchment but since we couldn't buy it anywhere - we just used wax paper. I always figured it was just the "southern" name for wax.

In the last decade, we see parchment on the grocery shelves. I do use it now on occasion and I see no difference if I line the cake tin or jelly roll pan with it or wax. However, I never would have lined a pan for baking cookies and now I sometimes do. That is, until I bought my baking stone in January. Now I use only that.
    False

The current weather in Edmonton, Alberta is

Click for Edmonton Municipal, Alberta Forecast

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Think Penny got the answer she needs, but just sticking my head in the door to say a big HI!!!!!
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.