How do you fix boiled cabbage? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you fix boiled cabbage?

Last post Aug 13, 2007 9:47 PM by hickoryhill . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • How do you fix boiled cabbage?
    I have never fixed it but was looking at a few recipes and think I will boil it in water and chicken broth with a few pieces of bacon.
    Just wondered if there is anything you do different that I should try.
    False
  • RE: How do you fix boiled cabbage?
    Oh yeah the search on here is fixed.Read a couple different things to add.Still will take any tips though,not fixing it till tomorrow.
    False
    I can't stand cooked cabbage, but DH loves it, so I let him cook it for himself. Lately he's been steaming it and then just dips it in vinegar. I can't stand it smelling up the house, so when it's cooking I have to have all the windows and doors open and the stove vent's fan operating on high.
    False

Usually steam it until tender. Then top with butter and salt & pepper.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I always steam it and lotza melted butter, salt and pepper. Yumm!!
    False
    I steam it too, or sautee with a little butter and bacon chopped up. YUM! Lots of salt and pepper!
    False

Rebecca

LOL..I don't exactly call what we fix boiled, but actually I think it is.

And btw..we really like cooked cabbage, but don't make it much, and I don't know why...and yeah, it does sort of stick up the house, lol.

Anyway, we chop it or cut into med size pieces, fry a few slices of bacon for the grease...we always use the lean center cut bacon, so there's not much grease there. Take out the bacon, put in the cabbage, let it sort of fry for a bit...some of the cabbage browns a little. Then put in a little water...you know actually I guess we sort of fry/steam/boil ours, lol...Cover it and cook until just tender.

We've never used chicken broth...might have to try that in place of water next time...or half and half.

Barbara
    False
    Darn...again, I need to proofread what I write...it doesn't stick up the house...it stinks up the house, lol...sorry about that.

Also, want to say, if anyone would use our method...make absolutely sure, not to over brown...because it doesn't take much to burn, and burned cabbage is nasty, lol.

Barbara
    False
    Barbara, my mom would make it like you do except at the end she would stir in some sour cream.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

When I sautee it, I usually brown some onion with it, too and then stir in some gnocci (You boil it first until it floats, then drain), this is a great side dish with pork chops!
    False

Rebecca

I just boil it, then serve it with some vinegar sprinkled on it (if you get too much, it's not good), plus some salt and pepper.
    False
    Why would you??? As you can probably tell, I don't!
    False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast
    LOL..beachgirl....because it's good?? or because we like it, lol.

I'll betcha there is something you like to eat, I wouldn't touch. Like... do you like ...ewwww, I can barely type the word...Liver, by chance? I can't stand the stuff, but other people may love it...I can't stand to smell it cook/fry, whatever....and taste.....uh uh, not me...grainy, gritty, nasty....LOL

Now cabbage, yeah, it's good, lol. Different strokes for different folks...or in this case...different taste for different folks.

Barbara
    False
    I steam it and then use butter and salt and pepper or

I shred it, chopped onion,and a little oil and/or bacon grease in a skillet. Cook until done and serve with pepper sauce (hot peppers and vinegar).
    False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I steam it too.

Nothing worse than cabbage cooked to long, IMO.
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.