Can Chicken Salad be frozen? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can Chicken Salad be frozen?

Last post Jan 05, 2011 8:26 PM by LeslieAK . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Can Chicken Salad be frozen?
    I made a large bowl of Chicken Salad Thursday.
    I noticed my sons are not eating it!
    I asked them why and said they were not hungry for it, "kinda tired of chicken salad" is what one said.

I don't want to waste it. Is it possible to freeze it? I have a food saver, I can vacuum seal it in a bag to freeze.

Any advice is appreciated.
    False
  • RE: Can Chicken Salad be frozen?
    I never freeze anything with a mayo base, and if it's got celery/onion they will be limp/soggy, no good frozen.
    False
    No it won't freeze ...maybe you could turn it into a casserole by adding some other things and then baking it! Throw in a can of soup,grated cheese, noodles and ritz cracker crumbs and butter dotted across the top. Bake at 350 for about 40 min.

Molly
    False
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, it does have celery in it.

I had a feeling, it would not be good to freeze, just thought I'd ask if any one had ever done so.

I'll try giving it away, so it won't go bad...chicken is so expensive!
    False
    Thanks Molly......good idea!

I'll try making a casserole like you said.
    False
    I always leave my chicken in pretty good size chunks so I could easily turn it into a casserole! Add peas or just about anything you like!

I think I could make a casserole or soup out of any left over! LOL

Molly
    False
    We've fixed chicken salad sandwiches for showers & weddings and frozen them so i thought the salad could certainly be frozen.
    False

Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!

It can be frozen, but one would not wanna eat it.
    False
    Ann
    How about adding some pasta to it and any other veggies that your family likes and make it a pasta salad. I would add some cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, onions. Just don't let them see you add the chicken salad.
    False
    I like the casserole and pasta salad ideas. Both would be good but I'm sure freezing is not a good idea.
    False
  • Re: Can Chicken Salad be frozen?

Yes.  It should be cold as well as fresh before freezing.  It may be watery after thawing, in which case drain it and add more mayo.  Of course do not freeze lettuce or expect chopped up veggies in the recipe to be crispy-fresh when thawed.  But, it beats throwing out the salad.

False

This is my rule of thumb..if you don't find it frozen in the grocery stores..it's a safe bet you shouldn't freeze it either. I've never seen frozen chicken salad..

False

Since the original post is 3 1/2 years old, I'm betting the chicken salad is no longer, frozen or not. 

Sorry...couldn't resist.  This made me giggle.

:o)

False

Photobucket