edible brain for a school project | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

edible brain for a school project

Last post Sep 15, 2007 9:16 AM by _Dodycooks . 30 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 123
  • edible brain for a school project
    alright all you smart cooks...help...my grandson told my daughter this morning that he will need an edible brain in 2 or three weeks for a school project,,,she has asked me to appeal to all of ya to come up with suggestions and i guess it will have to be large enough to serve the class...any and all suggestions will be welcomed...thanks ahead of time...
    False
  • RE: edible brain for a school project
    Can we have a little background here please lol? What are they teaching kids these days? I see "serial killer" in someone's future =O
    False
    Actually this time of year, you can usually find a brain jello mold at Target, WM, or Michael's. Mix say a red and ble jello....gosh I don't know.

LOL

http://www.anatomical.com/product.asp?pn=21013&bhcd2=1189651332
    False

Rebecca

A real cows brain. Then tell them all about mad cow disease.
    False
    I would think buying head cheese would be great for that. The other would be pickled Cauliflower. (How to make it...don't ask me!)
    False

"Anyone can oppose, it's fun to be against things, but there comes a time when you have to start being for things as well."

ohh, i saw something for this!! was really good too! just might take me a few minutes to find it again.... be right back okay?
    False
    Can someone PLEASE explain to me why the class is going to eat this brain? What is this teaching them? I don't have young kids so obviously I am missing something that is popular nowadays about eating fake brains in school. Help...
    False
    AHA! found it, actually found two, and came up with a good idea whilst looking for those! :)

to make brains:
    trim stem off cauliflower; trim cauliflower into brain shape. place in jar; add water and small amount of yellow food coloring. cover jar tightly; shake to dispurse color. write contents on label, adhere to jar(sheesh why would they say something like that--where else are you going to put it?)

the other one is a gelatin mold kind....
    (if you want this recipe will post in a minute, is kinda long, will take a few to type out)

but i was also thinking that you could do something with spaghetti, and mold it in a bowl (maybe some plain gelatin, and a little food coloring?) then flip it...the noodles would look kind of brain like.

am still looking to see if there is something better..
    False
    found the one i was looking for....but not sure if it's appropriate for school... looks good, but uses shrimp
    i guess if there's no allergies....

better homes and garden, halloween edition, 2006

scray Cerebrum

3lbs frozen cooked shrimp (with tails) thawed and drained well
    1/4c roasted sweet peppers, cut into 1/4inch strips
    1c broth
    1 tsp unflavored gelatin
    1 1/2tsp finely shredded lemon peel
    1/4c lemon juice
    3tbsp tomato paste
    1tbsp honey
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/4tsp cayenne pepper

in a 1 1/2 quart glass bowl (3inches high, 7 1/2 inches diameter) begin arranging shrimp, tails toward the center, in a circle to make a flat layer in the bottom of the bowl. (only the round backs of the shrimp should be visible from the outside of the bowl) repeat layers until bowl is full, pressing down every couple of layers. As bowl fills up, tuck strips of the roasted pepper in and around the shrimp forming 'blood vessels' (it helps to peer from the side of the bowl and adjust as necessary as you go) when bowl is full, press down firmly with a a plate that fits inside the bowl. set aside.

in a small saucepan combine the broth and gelatin. let stand for five minutes. cook and stir over medium heat until gelatin has dissovled. whisk in lemon peel, lemon juice, tomato paste, honey, garlic, salt, ginger and cayenne pepper until combined. pour mixture over shrimp in bowl. cover and chill at least five hours or overnight.

to unmold, set bowl in a sink filled with warm water for several seconds. invert over plate and remove bowl. cover and chill until needed (up to 24hrs)

the picture of this, really does look like a brain....so if you can use shrimp this would be the way to go! the most realistic i've found so far!
    False
    How funny!
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

ICK!Why an EDIBLE brain??Good ideas here,just wondering why an EDIBLE brain???
    False

maybe for science? the ideas i got were from halloween books though...
    False
    I recommend the brain cookies with blood glaze from Emeril....I've posted the recipe here before....I know for sure it's still on the website....foodtvDOTcom, search brain cookies with blood glaze in their recipe thingie. They taste great. Actually, you don't have to use that recipe. I used plain roll out cookie dough, squeezed thru a cookie press with the many hole disk thing (you can use a ricer but I didn't have one so I used the spritz cookie press). Squeeze out a bunch of squiggly mounds of cookie dough, roughly shaping it into a brain shape and bake it at the same temp for however long it takes to cook it without burning. I'd add some purple to the dough at some point to turn the dough gray. Not much, just some. When the cookies are cool just drizzle with some plain old powdered sugar glaze that you've added a LOT of red dye to so it looks like blood. Powdered sugar glaze: Take about a pound of the powedered sugar and add a few spoons of water to make it drizzly, add color, drizzle.

They are disgusting and gross looking and absolutely wonderful!!!!!
    False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World

C'mon this is all in fun & kids will love it.

I can't grasp why anyone would be upset over something like this...and if you don't get it, you just don't get it or maybe you never were a kid.

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

Brain Cookies:
    2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup very finely chopped walnuts, or pecans
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    About 5 drops red food coloring
    About 9 drops blue food coloring
    Blood Glaze:
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    35 to 40 drops red food coloring
    2 to 4 tablespoons milk, as needed for thinning glaze

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
    In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Into a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Alternating with the eggs, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating well after the addition of each. Fold in the nuts, vanilla, and red and blue food coloring, being careful not to overmix the dough. (The food coloring will make the dough a grayish color, resembling the color of brains.)

Place the dough in batches in a potato ricer and push the dough out onto the prepared baking sheets in long tubes of dough. With your fingers, loosely pat and arrange the dough strands into clumps resembling brains, pushing to form 2 hemispheres and shaping into a walnut-like shape. Bake until golden brown on the bottom, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.

To make the "blood glaze," in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar with the food coloring to make a thick glaze, whisking together. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the glaze is a good consistency for drizzling. Drizzle the "blood" onto the cookies and serve either warm or at room temperature.

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World