Can lasagna be made ahead and refrigerated not frozen? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can lasagna be made ahead and refrigerated not frozen?

Last post Sep 22, 2007 2:10 PM by cooking71 . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Can lasagna be made ahead and refrigerated not frozen?
    I am making lasgna for a church dinner tomorrow and cooking it today. I need to find out if it will be ok put together and put in the refrigerator, but not cooked until tomorrow. Please advise and thank you.
    False
  • RE: Can lasagna be made ahead and refrigerated not frozen?
    I do that all the time. I will make it the night before and cook it for dinner the next day. Works great!
    False
    Thank you so much. I feel much better. I would have felt aweful if it hadn't turned out.
    False
    My DD does this all the time, too! Sometimes, we have this on Christmas Eve, and she has even made it and frozen it a week or so ahead of time. Then she bakes it Christmas Eve. That works fine, too!
    False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

I'll keep that in mind. When working in a Military Chapel we don't always get the money for what we want to do at the right time. We had to buy the groceries part a week in advance and part a month in advance. Fortunately, most of it could be frozen. Next time, I might make and freeze the lasagna ahead so I can spend more time with my husband when he is able to be here. Thanks for letting me know.
    False
    it actually is better!!! the flavors have a chance to work together... I do this all the time!!!!

I have even gone into production and made 10-12 8x8 pans and frozen them.. they will stay 6 months just wrapped in plastic and foil and a year or more if I vac pack the pans!!
    False

without enough sleep we all become TALL two year olds!!!!!

What other meals are good to make ahead and freeze? I am on the care team and take meals to families when they have a loss. I need to be ready at any time, but I have found that some meals I have tried to freeze don't taste as good when thawed.
    False
    I can't seem to cut my cooking back for two people so I'm always freezing meals. My rule is if I see an item or meal frozen in the grocery store I know I can freeze it at home. A word of caution, when freezing the lasgna I add extra sauce. Any pasta kept overnight or frozen will absorb some of the sauce.
    False
    I use raw noodles in my lasagna. I have done this for at least the last 12 years and it always works. Use a slightly thinner sauce and a little extra. It actually soaks into the noodles adding more flavor. I often make it the night before and have DH stick it in the oven the next day at the right time. No problems.

Mexican lasanga also freezes well. Anything with noodles just do not cook them all the way or they get mushy. Same for rice. One trick is to cook chicken and freeze it in smaller bags. They you can pull it out to make a fast casserole or even a chicken ceasar salad. Do a search for make ahead meals and you will find lots of ideas. I posted many recipes from my 2 Make A Mix cookbooks that are all about freezer cooking.
    False