How to keep big area rugs from sliding...? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to keep big area rugs from sliding...?

Last post Sep 23, 2007 3:30 PM by purseglove_MA_F_67 . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • How to keep big area rugs from sliding...?
    I have a huge area rug. It was under my dining room table, but would get wrinkled and messed up with the chairs so I moved it in my office area and I have similar problems.

Should I use that cushion like liner even if the rug is on carpet, verses wood floor/tile?

I feel like I am constantly fixing it.
    False

Rebecca

• RE: How to keep big area rugs from sliding...?
    I've heard that putting the rubber rings, the ones that are used with jars when canning, on the bottom of rugs will help prevent them from sliding. I guess you would glue them onto the bottom of the rug. Don't know if this would help the rug from wrinkling.
    False
    It might help to put it on the liner, however, I have noticed most all the times when you put a rug on the carpet it seems to wrinkle.
    False
    I have the carpet-on-carpet liner and my 8x10 rug still wrinkles. Hope someone else has the answer, cause I sure don't!
    False
    You should use one of those rubber carpet liners that goes on the floor, that's the only thing that will really help.
    False
    Lock the liquor cabinet!
    False
    If the area rug is on top of carpeting, I'd suggest tapping in some push pins through the rug into the carpeting.

The push pins are small enough not to trip anyone but large enough so that they'll hold the area rug in place over the carpeting.

Just a thought. Good Luck!

Krissy :)
    False
    Every carpet has a nap that goes in one direction even if you can't see it. No matter what you do, a rug on carpet will "walk" one way and there is nothing you can do about it. If you want area rugs better tear out the carpet, put in hardwood floors and then use some of the anti-slide methods. Or sell the area rug and get rid of the headache.
    Sorry, but that is the truth I learned long ago.
    False
    Thanks everyone!
    False

Rebecca

Why not just buy double back carpet tape and put a strip across either end of area rug?
    False
    PG, we tried that and it does not work for very long. My mother's apartment in Germany had very thin wall to wall carpeting and her large are rugs had heavy furniture sitting on them. On one side of the room sa big cabinet (Schrank) filled with books and also glass ware, a sofa on the other side of the room had it's front on the rug and the darn thing still wrinkled and tried to "walk" in that one direction. It is like fighting a losing battle.
    False
    I have a thin, rubber grid under my area oriental on top of living room carpeting and have no creeping or wrinkle problem. Did not want to use the tape on oriental but have used it successfully on others.
    False