Eating after gallbladder removal ? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Eating after gallbladder removal ?

Last post Sep 26, 2007 11:47 PM by akfishergirl1 . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Eating after gallbladder removal ?
    DS (20yrs old) is having his gallbladder out on Wednesday. We got the list of what he can and cannot have for 2 weeks after surgery. Grease/fat is the main problem that I can see. They noted pork on the list and I was wondering if we have some ham that is 96-98% fat free if that would be ok or not? He is on chicken, white rice, white bread, clear juice and yogurt right now til he has the surgery. He is on stool softeners right now cuz he can't have fiber either. He is looking forward to eating "real food" again. This is the same kid that had his jaw wired shut for 6 weeks this summer after a "friend" hit him and broke his jaw.
    Any advice for post op would be appreciated.

Gail
    False
  • RE: Eating after gallbladder removal ?
    I had mine 19 plus years ago & still have trouble with tomato sauce. That's about the only thing.
    False
    Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!
    I had mine 19 plus years ago & still have trouble with tomato sauce. That's about the only thing.
    False
    Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!
    Sounds like your DS has had a rough summer. Is he having regular gall bladder surgery or laprascopic? I had mine removed laproscopically about 8 or 9 years ago. Because I am diabetic they kept me overnight, but when I got out the next morning me and DH went Christmas shopping all day and ate at a fast food place, no problems from either endeavor. But I've heard friends and relatives who've had the procedure still complain about different things they can't eat. I think it just depends on the person. Just tell him to try the things he likes in moderation and if they don't bother him, go for it. Good luck to him!!
    False
    kyjo,
    It is set for laproscopic but the surgeon said that since he never knows what he will find when he gets in there, that he may have to cut him open. We figure that anything is better than what he has been going thru the last 3 weeks.

Gail
    False
    Hi.

He probably should follow Dr.'s orders for those few weeks post op.
    That being said, I had mine out in 1991- one of the first local laproscopic procedures- and never had any restrictions...except not to lift anything heavy for a little bit.

Good luck to him! He'll do fine!

Margaret
    False
    When I had mine in 73 the doctor told me to eat what I wanted. The day after I got home from the hospital I wanted pinto beans and cornbread an I ate it. Didn't bother me. But greasy food will now and believe it or not banana's will give me indejestion bad. But you eat and you will figure out what you can't eat. Some will give you a terrible stomach ache and then you go and you are fine. But it takes time to learn what you can eat. Laura
    False
    Laura
    I was eating pizza within a few days of having mine out. However, my body respsonded differently to things for a while. Now, I can eat anything.

I too had laproscopic though they told me depending what they find I may end up overnight. I was home that evening!
    False
    Laproscopic surgery is a piece of cake. Both DH and I had it.
    After the surgery we were both able to eat everything with never any more problems.
    Recovery was easy and just 3 little tiny scares. We both did stay over night tho so they could check for infection and then home we went.
    Best of luck to him.
    Cassiebabe
    False

Barbara Anne

Thanks all!!!
    He has been going thru alot these last 3 weeks and I know this will make things better. The surgery won't pay the out of network medical bills but then again it is a small price to pay to get him "up and running" again.

Gail

False
    Good luck to your DS sounds like he has been having a really bad time....(((hug)))
    False
    I didn't really get a list of things I could and could not eat. Just sort of learn what did and did not bother me. Of course that was all through trial and error :(
    False
    I was never told to watch my diet afterward. I have eaten anything I want ever since and nothing has bothered me. But some people have problems with certain foods. All you can do is eat and learn.

Since ham and pork both come from a pig, I think I'd not eat it for the two weeks.

He'll probably be amazed at how quickly he recovers (as long as they just do the laparoscopy). I just had a restriction on how much I could lift for a period of time(forget how long); otherwise could do whatever activities I felt like doing. Just was quite sore whenever I tried to get up out of a chair or bed for about 3 days.
    False
    I never had to change my diet at all. Right after the surgery he may want to lay off anything greasy because his system will be out of whack, but after 2 weeks he can try start trying different things and see if he has an intolerance to anything. Good luck!
    False
    Both myself and spouse had ours done this year and our doing great. Both home the same day as outpatient surgey. He was up and going quick. I took around a week till full power! Nice for him as his work made him take off two weeks with pay! We can eat most anything now!!!! Thanks goodness. My scars are hardly visible(round) my spouse had one that was about an inch long and are much more noticable though. Can play dot to dot on each other now!!!! Humor I guess.
    False