How many times can one wasp sting? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How many times can one wasp sting?

Last post Oct 02, 2007 9:46 PM by AuntLoLo . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • How many times can one wasp sting?
    I got stung 4 times by a red wasp this afternoon. I saw only 1 wasp. I always thought their stingers fell off after stinging once - or is that just bees?

Anyway, I have 3 huge welts on my thigh and 1 on my hand. I took some Benadryl for the itching but the pain hasn't gone away yet. It feels like a needle is jabbing my thigh. (This happened 3 hours ago.)

Sorry for the moaning. I just wondered if 1 wasp can do this.
    False
  • RE: How many times can one wasp sting?
    yes, a wasp can sting multiple times. They don't lose the stinger like bees do. Hornets are the same way.
    Since it was a red wasp, keep an eye on the sting sites, and your respirations. If it feels like the burning is up your arm or leg away from the sting site, or it feels like you are having a difficult time breathing, contact your doctor.

In the mean time, make a paste of meat tenderizer and water, and make a poultice for the sites. Or if you are a smoker, or anyone in your house is, make the poultice out of tobacco and warm water. Leave it on the stings, and it will help draw the poison out.
    Good luck, I know these can be horribly painful!
    False
    Wasps can sting repeatedly (so can hornets and yellowjackets). Their stingers are shaped like pointed needles, so they can retract them and sting again. Bees' stingers have jagged edges, so they stay in your skin the first time they sting.

But I bet you really don't care about that right now {{{AuntLoLo}}}

I know, those stings really hurt. A paste of baking soda and witch hazel applied on the area works for me to help relieve the sting and itch.
    False

keep an eye out for infection....my mom get stung one time and got an infection from it.....had to have the doctor cut it out....yuck!!
    False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Slice a raw onion and rub a piece over the sting it really helps with pain. The meat tenderizer paste also works, just make sure papain is in the list of ingredients as this is the ingredient that helps. Never tried any of the other suggestions. Hope you get relief soon.
    False
    try applying ice. it decreases the swelling...may be too late for you now...and helps with the itching, too.
    Elizabeth
    False
    honey bees can only sting once....i like honey bees, they give you a chance to get away...
    False

I was standing outside my office building one day on a smoke break when suddenly a really big fly flew around me. It's buzz was louder than most flies I've ever seen. I thought nothing of it at the time though.

But a minute later, there was a bump on my shoulder inside my short sleeved shirt and it was moving.

I started to freak out when I felt this pinching!

I realized a GD bee flew up my sleeve!!!

I saw it fly back out and I wound up with two stings under my arm.

Not long ago, I was outside smoking on the balcony at my apartment, and I felt a pinch on my leg.

Turned out another GD bee flew up one of the legs of my short pants!!

I HATE BEES!!!
    False
    Thanks for all of the tips, everyone! I ended up just using an ice pack on my thigh and hand since I didn't have the other remedies. The ice helped with the pain and swelling. And the Benedryl knocked me out so I took a long nap this afternoon! I'm just thankful I'm not highly allergic like some people are.
    False
    I can sympathize with you. I got stung on the top of the foot the other day.
    False

This is the time of year you need to be real careful of stinging insects. Many are in the process of mating, so they're aggressive. Others are in the process of dying, so they're disoriented and confused and will sting without being provoked.

Be especially careful of yellow jackets. The males are all dying off now, and they search for sugar to get energy. They tend to dive into sweet food or drinks, or be attracted to sweet fragrances on your body, like perfume and hair products.

Glad you're feeling better, AuntLoLo! You too, Tammi!
    False

I feel sorry for you. I am absolutely scared to death of bees. I would probably kill myself trying to get away from one, or have a heart attack.

I think my fear comes from getting stung one time years and years ago by a black hornet....if I'm recalling correctly.

Anyway, both my son (he was just a little boy then) and I got stung on a camping trip. It was the most painful sting I've ever had...

Hope your stings are a lot less painful by now, and everything is ok with you.

Barbara
    False
    One good thing about my getting stung was that I learned a lot about wasps and bees!

Labrat, you're full of great info and I thank you for sharing it. And the rest of you aren't bad, either! I appreciate all of your comments.

My thigh and hand are still a little hot and sensitive but I'll be popping more Benedryl tonight for the itching. I'm just glad the pain has gone away.

Again, thanks, y'all!
    False