Electric Roaster - love it! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Electric Roaster - love it!

Last post May 07, 2004 12:55 PM by TAYP . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Electric Roaster - love it!
    I just got an electric roaster a few weeks ago and didn't get around to trying it until yesterday. I really like it. I roasted a whole chicken and it was juicer and cooked quicker than in the oven. I never knew much about them until I read about them on here. Thanks!

It's a GE 18 quart. I can see using it all the time when I am having the family gatherings, maybe taking it camping (?) and for sure, using it outside in the summer instead of heating up the kitchen with the oven.
    False
  • RE: Electric Roaster - love it!
    One of my friends uses hers to make stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls for a crowd. Have fun with yours!
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I have the Rival 16 qt. It has the 3 seperate insert pans that are fantatic for a buffet. I just love it.
    False
    I have the Nesco 6 qt and the 18qt and I love both of them. I use the smaller one a lot, and the bigger one for holidays or when I have a lot of company.
    False

BCM, could you tell me how you did it? I tried a turkey once, and it was tough. Maybe not done, not sure. I was afraid to try it again. Then my Dad got me a BIGGER one, a GE, and it is still in the box. :(

I love to fix vegetable soup in the smaller one.
    False

catmint

Catmint; I don't know if this suggestion will help you but I use alot of canned chicken broth when I cook a turkey. That is used for gravy and noodles, anything leftover gets frozen.

Have a good night, Diane
    False
    What's the difference between a roaster and a crock pot??

False
    Crock pot cooks with lower and slow heat.....A roaster is like your oven. I cover my turkey with foil and put water in the bottom of the foil. I also rub margarine all over the bird inside and out.....And start with 350° for a couple of hours and turn the heat down to finish it. It always comes out really moist.
    False

I roasted a turkey breast in mine over the weekend...I love this new gadget!!
    False
    Catmint - no tricks. I put some seasonings on it, rubbed it with a bit of butter and put it on the rack in the roaster at 350. I always think of chicken taking 1/2 hr/pound in the oven and the book says 15-17 min/pound for the roaster, so it cooked in about half the time.

Maybe the turkey cooked too long?
    False
    I love mine, too. It's the only way I cook my turkey and roasts now. Frees up the oven,and can be placed in a different room to cook, so more room in the kitchen! I always put a bit of water in the pan--but next time I'll try broth--good idea.
    False
    I love mine too, especially on THanksgiving and Christmas, it frees up your oven. I cook my turkey in the Nesco.
    False
    I might have cooked it too long. LOL

Thankyou for the information on that and the broth Diane, and BCM.
    False

catmint

For anyone interested:

I was just at Target tonight and they have their large roasters on clearance!

Normally $50 they had them for about $22.54 I believe.

I'm thinking about going back tomorrow and picking one up for myself. I've never actually wanted one before - but the more I think about making the holiday turkey in it and keeping the oven free, the more I like the thought!

False
    Oh, defintely (sp?) take it camping. We do potato bar and they smell heavenly outside. You can also bake biscuits or cake. Get a pan that will fit inside on the rack. My sis does this even at home. It saves the kitchen from heat in the summer.
    False